What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

Gainiac

Hey there,

since the SP4 is now available for quite a time, some of us may look forward to the SP5. This should be a discussion thread about possible and desired features and the possible release date.
New I will beginn. I want the SP5 to not be bigger than the SP4 and it must either have an USB C Thunderbolt port in the tablet itself or a dock providing the port for using an external graphics card.
So what are your thoughts about the SP5?

coolowl

I do not yet own a Surface, but wouldn't a larger screen make working in Excel easier? Why not two size options?

OP
Gainiac

Gainiac

I do not yet own a Surface, but wouldn't a larger screen make working in Excel easier? Why not two size options?
I am mostly using my surface at university, so a bigger one would be to uncomfortable. Your idea with two options would be a good idea.

jrioux

I'd love for the SP5 to have a larger screen. Perhaps there should be two sizes of the pro - 12.3 and 14? At least two thunderbolt ports and a bigger or longer lasting battery without adding weight would be great.

Last edited:

daveyp

12.5" screen, same form factor, better battery life if possible. would like it to continue with backwards compatibility (dock, pen, keyboards). im generally very happy with the surfaces' features and size. USB-C would be okay, but i see the device being replaced before any real need for it.

the only "big" thing I really want, and it wont happen, is user-upgradable drives and RAM. maybe wireless charging, if implemented correctly.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am mostly using my surface at university, so a bigger one would be to uncomfortable. Your idea with two options would be a good idea.

Indeed. But in my opinion it should be the current size, and 10". Any bigger than what we already have and you begin to lose what makes a surface a surface. It's unweildy enough as it is. I imagine the answer is if you want bigger, but a surface book.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be a first for Microsoft:)
The 80/20 rule should be replaced by the 90/10 rule or maybe 95/5 rule.

Aim higher and the resulting delivery will be higher.

Note that you rarely hit all your targets dead on so if you aim at 80% and have a few design misses and a few implementation misses totaling 20% the result may only be 60%. where if you aim for 90% and demand higher then your misses may only total 10% and the result is 80%. or if you really crank it up and aim for 95% and have only 5% misses your delivery is 90%.

I've only been saying this since before MS did their Trustworthy Computing Security lockdown in 2002 to make Security a top priority. They need a new memo... Security and Quality are top priority. The two are really inseparable as poor quality leads to poor security.

I hope they are learning from these experiences and it all leads to better products otherwise they are destined to making the same mistakes over and over again.

A toast: To better quality and fewer mistakes.

PotatoHole

Ok, possible ideas for a Pro 5 could be:-

Bigger batteries.

Maybe an inch bigger screen.

A keyboard with changeable background led lights.

I small led on the top rim that flashes different colour to alert to incoming email, messages, forum updates etc.

A slightly faster set of CPUs.

Bigger range of SSD's, upto 1.5TB.

Different type of screen, maybe even an IPS.

G-sync and FreeSync.

Fingerprint reader on the tablet rather than optional keyboard.

Better quality speakers.

2 x USB3/c

And as always a higher pixel density.

They need to make Edge better as well, I still currently mostly use Chrome.

A detachable keyboard that has it's own little battery so you can use it even when it is not physically attached to the tablet.

I tougher and more scratch resistant screen (although I've had no issues with the Surface Pro 4 screen).

I'm sure as time goes by that Windows 10 will keep getting upgrades to the point that using this tablet will become an enjoyable, smooth bug free experience. But if I find out they are with holding updates so that they can use them as a selling feature for a pro 5 I'll be pretty unhappy. I doubt they would stoop so low though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could go for some WiGigness and a WiGig dock.
And USB-C with USB 3.1 gen 2 10Gb/Thunderbolt 3 support this would also enable the possibility of a TB3 connected dock. i.e. a standards based vs proprietary connection for the dock.