What's new

Surface Pro 5 Discussion

coolowl

My initial suggestion was for a larger screen. That was before I bought the SP4. While at the Microsoft Store I held the MS Book in my hands with the screen detached from the keyboard. Ugh. It was heavy and felt awkward. I'm so used to my iPad with its lightweight and easy to hold in one hand. Right then and there I calmly reattached the display and told the salesman I want to buy an SP4. My mind was instantly made up.

Therefore, I withdraw my suggestion for a larger screen. The fact that I can increase the font size across the board on the Surface, and independently within the Office programs make this size very useable.

Oh, "you made me laugh" goes out to the person who wrote that the new SP5 will be just like the SP4 only everything works. Ha. Funny stuff. BTW, a longer battery life would be nice.

godson594

Reliability. Stability. Dependability. Bug Free.

Late to this thread, but damn I can't imagine them releasing anything without an avalanche of bugs. I have owned (and returned) every surface product since the sp2 because of bugs.

I sure hope we will see a USB-C/TB3 40gbps port with the option for external GPU. I haven't lost faith yet

Cuhulin

I strongly support changing to a TB3 dock connection, so that we could use a GPU in the dock (ala Razer Blade Core).

Both for the SP line and for the SB line, I think this will allow a much more natural portable v desktop setup.

CrippsCorner

I'll be getting a new Surface next year... maybe around the middle of the year. I'm guessing that'll be the SP5 for me then! Doubt we'll see a SP6 by then? Maybe a SB2 but I think I still want the tablet version.

KathyNorman

I'd love for the SP5 to have a larger screen. Perhaps there should be two sizes of the pro - 12.3 and 14? At least two thunderbolt ports and a bigger or longer lasting battery without adding weight would be great.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love for the SP5 to have a larger screen. Perhaps there should be two sizes of the pro - 12.3 and 14? At least two thunderbolt ports and a bigger or longer lasting battery without adding weight would be great.
IDK about larger screen... I fondled an iPad PRO at best buy and because it's so thin and light it wasn't initially overbearing but the size is unwieldy and I think beyond the initial wonderment it would quickly become just too much for an in the hands device. maybe if you were going to primarily use it lying flat on a table or standing stationary otherwise just too big. The surface tending to be much thicker and heavier would just be that much worse. I also sampled a Samsung View (18.4") ... god what a monster, I was done with that in 3 seconds.

jrioux

IDK about larger screen... I fondled an iPad PRO at best buy and because it's so thin and light it wasn't initially overbearing but the size is unwieldy and I think beyond the initial wonderment it would quickly become just too much for an in the hands device. maybe if you were going to primarily use it lying flat on a table or standing stationary otherwise just too big. The surface tending to be much thicker and heavier would just be that much worse. I also sampled a Samsung View (18.4") ... god what a monster, I was done with that in 3 seconds.
Actually, I almost always use my SP3 on a table or desk with the keyboard. Having an extra inch or more in screen width would be wonderful and a couple extra ounces wouldn't be noticeable. I have smaller tablets for leisure use.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SP5 Should include a Virtual Desktop in the Cloud with Optional GPU where you can run heavy workloads remotely. You don't need an external dGPU when you have cloud power.

Exhile

Even though I don't have a Surface, I hope the Surface Pro 5 has a 4k screen, a better longer lasting battery and the yet to be released Kaby Lake processors from Intel.

kristalsoldier

I would like slightly thinner bezels if possible; a marked improvement to battery life, if possible; a little lighter, if possible; a second USB port, if possible; a black version of the device (like the original Surface RT and the SP 1/2) but with a (much more!!) robust paint job or whatever it is that it was.

12.5" screen, same form factor, better battery life if possible. would like it to continue with backwards compatibility (dock, pen, keyboards). im generally very happy with the surfaces' features and size. USB-C would be okay, but i see the device being replaced before any real need for it.

the only "big" thing I really want, and it wont happen, is user-upgradable drives and RAM. maybe wireless charging, if implemented correctly.

This.