What's new

Surface Pro 6 Is A Little Misleading

SteveL

Hello,
I don't see this as a Pro computer if it does not have Windows 10 Pro.
I have Surface 3, 4, & 5 computers and love them all. And all are Win10Pro.
I got my wife a Surface Pro 6 i5 128Gb to replace her Pro 3. This was a good idea and poorly executed on my part. What follows is my folly for the day.

I did not notice that at purchase there was no indication that the computer came with Windows 10 Pro or Home. This morning on a call with Support I was told the Surface Pro 6 only comes with Windows 10 Home. YIKES! That was an irritating discovery. The box just says Windows 10. The purchase description from Amazon just says Windows 10. Not Home or Pro. Ok, so my error. Well, it gets worse. I assumed the Pro 6 was running Win10 Pro. That was bad and stupid.

Don't use a disk image of a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Pro 6. Even if you only copy the C partition. Even if you have a valid Windows 10 Pro key to activate. You will have to reload the firmware and go back to Windows 10 Home before you can activate or upgrade to Windows 10 Pro on the Surface Pro 6. I even tried to use a Windows 10 Pro key that I have but had not previously used. The system rejected it. I just spent a long day (6 hours) on five calls to Microsoft Support trying to get to a place and configuration to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. And it still ain't done. It was clear to me that the Pro 6 has some support issues and the knowledge base they use is a little behind.
Happy Trails

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Pro 6 is $100 cheaper than prior models and the upgrade cost from Home to Pro is $100. Although you can buy the Commercial SKU at authorized resellers with Pro installed for a "few dollars more" ($100 more).

Seems like you shot yourself in the foot with the illegal copying attempts. Did you try to use the Surface Recovery Image to get back to the original factory state? Upgrade to Pro from there should work... Or you might try THIS

yonghong

That’s easy, when I got SP6 last month, I complained it doesn’t have win 10 pro, I just google some pro key online, then use telephone activate it, that’s easy

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

OP
SteveL

SteveL

ender, I did get the firmware and re-loaded the factory settings and I finally have the upgrade purchased and the system is running. But I have to move the files piecemeal and then start installing and configuring every application one by one. No migration tool is available from Microsoft.

The facts and points here are that the words "Windows 10" without and post descriptor means Windows 10 Home (at least for the Surface Pro 6). All the surface Pro 6 computers come with Windows 10 Home. And there is no simple way to upgrade from an older Surface computer to the Surface Pro 6. You must start from a clean install and reinstall and reconfigure every aspect of the system and applications.

Greyfox7, I apologize if you took my post as a complaint or whining about not being able to use an bootleg copy of Windows. That is not what I was trying to do and Microsoft Support knows exactly what I did. I just wanted to move ALL the files, applications and settings to the new computer to save on frustration and time. Yes, I know that did not work.

yonghong, I don't want a bootleg Product ID.
Happy Trails

Al van der Laan

Well, let me whine a little bit about this move that Microsoft performed. They knowingly and willingly are putting customer data at risk. First they do not even mention it to the customer, they have to find out for themselves, secondly security features available in Pro are not available in Home. This means that, should you lose your device or it gets stolen from a table at a coffee shop where you were just not paying attention as you were in a call, your data is unprotected. You can also not join a domain, which is not very "pro" like. Actually I just bought an HP Spectre 13 and that thing even had home on it (not very James Bond!!). Upgrade in place is CAD 130.00. I got my SP2017 with W10Pro on it. Just bought that two months ago, before the craziness with the SP6 started and got a great deal on a commercial unit.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This means that, should you lose your device or it gets stolen from a table at a coffee shop where you were just not paying attention as you were in a call, your data is unprotected.
incorrect. Home devices are encrypted and have been in W10 from the start. Even base Surface devices with Win8 Home were encrypted.

wpcoe

I bought a license to Win10 Pro. Any advice/caveats before I attempt to upgrade my Surface Pro 6? (Other than making a solid backup?)

yonghong

ender, I did get the firmware and re-loaded the factory settings and I finally have the upgrade purchased and the system is running. But I have to move the files piecemeal and then start installing and configuring every application one by one. No migration tool is available from Microsoft.

The facts and points here are that the words "Windows 10" without and post descriptor means Windows 10 Home (at least for the Surface Pro 6). All the surface Pro 6 computers come with Windows 10 Home. And there is no simple way to upgrade from an older Surface computer to the Surface Pro 6. You must start from a clean install and reinstall and reconfigure every aspect of the system and applications.

Greyfox7, I apologize if you took my post as a complaint or whining about not being able to use an bootleg copy of Windows. That is not what I was trying to do and Microsoft Support knows exactly what I did. I just wanted to move ALL the files, applications and settings to the new computer to save on frustration and time. Yes, I know that did not work.

yonghong, I don't want a bootleg Product ID.
Happy Trails

Anyway, my SP6 win 10 pro is genuine now, telephone activated is legal

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

Turbo4AWD

Hello,
I don't see this as a Pro computer if it does not have Windows 10 Pro.
I have Surface 3, 4, & 5 computers and love them all. And all are Win10Pro.
I got my wife a Surface Pro 6 i5 128Gb to replace her Pro 3. This was a good idea and poorly executed on my part. What follows is my folly for the day.

I did not notice that at purchase there was no indication that the computer came with Windows 10 Pro or Home. This morning on a call with Support I was told the Surface Pro 6 only comes with Windows 10 Home. YIKES! That was an irritating discovery. The box just says Windows 10. The purchase description from Amazon just says Windows 10. Not Home or Pro. Ok, so my error. Well, it gets worse. I assumed the Pro 6 was running Win10 Pro. That was bad and stupid.

Don't use a disk image of a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Pro 6. Even if you only copy the C partition. Even if you have a valid Windows 10 Pro key to activate. You will have to reload the firmware and go back to Windows 10 Home before you can activate or upgrade to Windows 10 Pro on the Surface Pro 6. I even tried to use a Windows 10 Pro key that I have but had not previously used. The system rejected it. I just spent a long day (6 hours) on five calls to Microsoft Support trying to get to a place and configuration to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. And it still ain't done. It was clear to me that the Pro 6 has some support issues and the knowledge base they use is a little behind.
Happy Trails

Have you seen the iPad Pro? Tell me THAT is a "Pro" device AT ALL when you can do a full backup of the iPad Pro on a Surface Pro 6 through iTunes, but you CAN'T do a full backup of ANYTHING to an iPad "Pro". lmao