What's new

Surface Pro 6 vs. SP3 docking station

Russ

I'm about to order a Surface Pro 6 for my Ladyfriend. She needs two docking stations -- one for home one for office. Am I correct that SP6 cannot use SP3 docking station?
Thanks,
Russ

wditters

I'm about to order a Surface Pro 6 for my Ladyfriend. She needs two docking stations -- one for home one for office. Am I correct that SP6 cannot use SP3 docking station?
Thanks,
Russ
It can.. But with the SP4 an insert was introduced due to the SP4 (and later models) being thinner .. So if you buy one, make sure it has the insert, because otherwise it will not really fit.. Or else, just get the newer generation Surface Dock..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

OP
Russ

Russ

Thanks. One of my missions is to keep her life simple, so I will buy the new dock.
Take care,
Russ

Turbo4AWD

It can.. But with the SP4 an insert was introduced due to the SP4 (and later models) being thinner .. So if you buy one, make sure it has the insert, because otherwise it will not really fit.. Or else, just get the newer generation Surface Dock..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Actually, Ebay/Amazon has the insert available for sale so if you cannot buy it WITH the insert, you can actually buy the insert LATER. I actually really liked the Surface Pro 3 docking station and did the research and found out you can buy the insert separately and make it work for the Surface Pro 6. I currently have the regular docking station and don't really like it that much, but at least it's a docking station.

Andrew Nourse

The new Microsoft dock is a downgrade in one significant respect: It does not actually hold the tablet like the SP3 dock.
I just bought the Kensington dock, much more expensive but it holds the tablet in a variety of different positions.

Turbo4AWD

I saw somewhere a STL and STEP file to 3D print the adapter

I found after a while see

couldn't manage to download the STP file

I was able to download this file! Gonna see if my friend can 3D Print it for me! I personally LOVE the Surface Pro 3 docking station even though it has some lesser features than the new Surface Pro dock, but I love how it holds the Surface Pro up!