What's new

Surface pro 6 won't load after restart but will after shut down

Nicola Wilson

My pro will never load after a restart. I can get it to load using soft and hard resets but sometimes these do not work and I have to leave my device for an hour or so till it responds again. If I shut down, rather than restart, then switch it on works no problem. My battery is on full and plugged in.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @Nicola Wilson

Thanks for joining the community. Sorry you're having problems normally retarting your Surface Pro 6.

There is a well-written procedure for you to try and have Windows 10 repair itself here. Let us know if this helps.

OP
Nicola Wilson

Nicola Wilson

Hello, @Nicola Wilson

Thanks for joining the community. Sorry you're having problems normally retarting your Surface Pro 6.

There is a well-written procedure for you to try and have Windows 10 repair itself here. Let us know if this helps.
This hasn’t worked. When I ask it to do startup repair it loads for a bit the says it repair could not repair your pc. I asked it to continue to windows 10 and it switched off and now won’t load at all. When I restart and go into command prompt it restarts and switches off.

OP
Nicola Wilson

Nicola Wilson

It is also happening during shut down now as well. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern for when it switches on sometimes soft reset works other times hard reset sometimes it will come on after a few minutes other times an hour. Sometimes when I unplug it plug back in sometimes when I remove the keyboard or plug it back in. I’m wondering if it’s a hardware problem?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Find a USB flash drive with at least 64GB. Then create a "recovery drive" by searching for "create a recovery drive". This software will install a bootable version of Windows 10 on your flash drive, allowing you to boot to it, then repair your SP6.

Before you start, it would be a good idea to make sure you back up your documents/files to OneDrive.

Please read this article:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive