What's new

Surface Pro 7 can't connect to Wifi

kvo3007

Hello,
I am having a really strange Wifi problem. I am not sure if it is caused by the the Wifi settings on my router or by the Surface Pro 7. The Surface suddenly stopped connecting to my home Wifi network. I tried resetting the router, restart the modem, disable/enable the network adapter. None of these works so far. All the other computers and cellphones can connect to the Wifi network with no problem. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX4300.

The Surface can connect to the personal hotspot Wifi network shared by my phone. I ran the Windows Network Diagnostics and received this generic message.
"Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)"
I appreciate any help on this.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Check your Network Adapters.

1) Right-click on Network Icon in status area, lower right of taskbar, Open Network and Sharing Center
2) Change Adapter Settings
3) Right-click on your VPN adapter, Properties
4) Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP IPv4), Properties, select to "Obtain IPv4 address automatically"
5) OK, OK, etc...

petergroft

Restart your network hardware and reconnect to Wi-Fi
Try restarting your modem, router, and Surface. Here's how: Remove the power cord from your modem and wireless router. After all lights on the devices go out, wait at least 30 seconds and plug the modem in again.

Hope This Works,
Peter