What's new

"Surface Pro 7+"? Only for business users? No "SP8"?

wpcoe

Saw some articles online about the new Surface Pro model to become available on 15 January, and they now refer to it as "Surface Pro 7 Plus" and only available to business users. It apparently will have a removable SSD.

[edited to add:]
PS: The "Where to buy" link on the Microsoft SP7+ page currently leads to "404 - File or directory not found"...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Saw some articles online about the new Surface Pro model to become available on 15 January, and they now refer to it as "Surface Pro 7 Plus" and only available to business users. It apparently will have a removable SSD.

[edited to add:]
PS: The "Where to buy" link on the Microsoft SP7+ page currently leads to "404 - File or directory not found"...
Try here

Buy Surface Pro 7+ for Business - Microsoft Store

OP
W

wpcoe

Dagnabit.

I'm planning a trip to the US in about 10 days so I went to the site linked in @jnjroach's post above to see what shipping lead times were in order to plan an order. Four of the eleven Surface Pro 7+ models are "Out of Stock." Including the one I want, of course. Aaargh.

Hmmm. The model I wanted was i7 / 16GB / 512GB / WiFi, but since it's not available might consider the i5 in same configuration, but there is none -- the largest SSD offered with an i5 is 256GB. What's up with that?

Last edited:
OP
W

wpcoe

I'm not entirely sure I'd "compromise" with the "downgrade" from an i7 to an i5, but if I do, would this SSD be a reasonable way to upgrade the i5 / 256GB model to 512GB?

OP
W

wpcoe

FYI / FWIW, I just looked at the Microsoft Surface 7+ sales page and apparently there is some sale/promotion going on now for some models:

1617375660220.png

If they were to discount the i7 / 16GB / 512GB model I might change my mind about waiting for an SP8. I am semi-tempted to buy the i7 / 16GB / 256GB and upgrade the SSD myself. $1449.99 is not a bad price.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I like the phrase "semi-tempted". I remain happy with my Surface Book 2 15", but also am watching to see if there is a SP8 on the way.

By the way, these sales happen every March/April/May, partially because this is the season students are accepted to colleges and universities. Computer purchases by the students or their families are popular.