What's new

Surface pro able to load other OS's according to reddit interview

marcux

According to the interview with the developers on Reddit, you can turn off the secure boot loader in the surface pro. this is awsome news!

> For the Surface Pro....is the boot loader unlocked? Can I do what I want with my (potential) property? Or am I locked in to Windows 8?

[–]SurfaceTeam 496 points 22 hours ago

Like other Windows 8 machines, you can access BIOS settings and turn off secure boot, enabling you to load other OSes.

[–]Nygmatic 331 points 21 hours ago

This needs to be advertised heavily! A top if the line tablet that can run Linux would be a killer for the tech and IT crowd!

May have just sold me one.

[–]SurfaceTeam 296 points 21 hours ago

J515OP

Super Moderator
Lol, I understand the excitement but does MS really need to heavily advertise that the hardware can run others OSes? I don't think so. Super backhanded compliment the poster I'm sure didn't even realize :D

bosamar

IMO maybe I'd consider dual booting but I would not switch to another OS. Not enough hard drive space...

bosamar

You can get super tiny installations of Linux and you can also run live from a usb sitck ;)

Our guest computer at work has Ubuntu on it. I never saw it before I came to work here and I think it's actually a good OS. There's going to be alot of playing going on with the Surface Pro!