What's new

Surface pro as a work replacement

mmoss2

You can map SkyDrive as a network drive on Windows RT (Google it). Anything saved on other computers shows up there (but has to be downloaded to be accessed) and you can also save files directly there. If you have a SkyDrive file open and you click "save", it will upload to SkyDrive which I like. It also feels more familiar to me so I like it, but it's not quite the sync you get with the desktop/x86 app.

Russ

apparently, if you borrow a book (using the Prime membership), it goes directly to the Kindle device.

KristalSoldier --

I didn't know that -- probably because I don't own a Kindle. I have been a long time Prime member, but didn't even know about the book borrowing benefit, since it is for Kindle owners only.

Regards,
Russ

kristalsoldier

KristalSoldier --

I didn't know that -- probably because I don't own a Kindle. I have been a long time Prime member, but didn't even know about the book borrowing benefit, since it is for Kindle owners only.

Regards,
Russ

I did not know about the borrowing facility either till recently when I was looking for a book on Amazon and they had a line which said Prime members could borrow it for an unlimited period of time for free. I have a first generation Kindle, which I immediately put to good use. The only thing is that one can borrow books once a month!!!!!

machistmo

Hooking My Surface Pro up to the Extended Monitor made it feel very NOT portable and a bit if a pain in the ass. It felt like I was reanimating Frankenstein with the Power, the USB and the HDMI and then all those cords all over my table. Not at all like my TPT2 at work that can be simply pushed into its dock and off I go on the desktop.

mitchellvii

Hooking My Surface Pro up to the Extended Monitor made it feel very NOT portable and a bit if a pain in the ass. It felt like I was reanimating Frankenstein with the Power, the USB and the HDMI and then all those cords all over my table. Not at all like my TPT2 at work that can be simply pushed into its dock and off I go on the desktop.

Yeah, I tried using my SP with external monitor as a desktop replacement and no go. Too many cables. So I still use the old desktop with triple monitor setup as primary workhorse and use SyncToy to keep SP up to date. This comes in especially handy if I want the handwrite some notes and don't want to fight the cables to do it.

mitchellvii

Type keyboard...
Bluetooth mouse...
Bluetooth audio...
Miracast...

No cables :) (apart from power obviously)

But is the Miracast as lagfree as a wired connection? And still, I really NEED triple monitors for work (I'm a headhunter). Database in the middle, resume on the side and web page on other side. Besides, using Synctoy I can achieve the exact same result as using the SP alone.

I run OneNote on my SP then wireless sync whenever I need the info on my desktop. Takes seconds.

CrippsCorner

I don't know, haven't got the chance to try it yet... although I've heard there are some lag issues. I'm going to wait until they start integrating Miracast straight into monitors, I need an excuse to buy myself a new one!