What's new

Surface Pro charger not working

Esteriel

I bought my Surface Pro one week ago. Charged it immediately - no problem. Haven't had a lot of time to use it, so the battery only ran low today. Plugged in the charger, turned on power and - nada. No little blue light, no power to the Pro, no action.

I've checked with a multimeter and power is getting from the outlet to the transformer. It's coming in at 248V (I'm in Oz) which is a bit high since the charger range is 100-240V, but our standard supply tolerance is +/- 5%, and it wasn't a problem last week. Anyway, power is getting from the transformer to the connector at 12V, which is right according to the small print on the transformer. For some reason, power is not getting from there to the battery. The connector seems to click into place OK and nothing is obviously loose, missing or dirty.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions, or is it back to the store with warranty in hand?

Thanks

tonyz3

others have had this issue but it was bc the plug was not seated in the SP correctly but looks like you checked that. I would completely unplug the charger all parts (like how it was shipped) than put it back together and try it again. i had this issue on my older Fujitsu and it fixed it...

malberttoo

Well if the current HAS been a consistent 248 into the adapter, which states that it's only good up to 240, any change the power brick could be fried?

OP
E

Esteriel

Well if the current HAS been a consistent 248 into the adapter, which states that it's only good up to 240, any change the power brick could be fried?

Thanks Michael. Our power supply voltage can get high in periods of low demand, but the supplier claims it shouldn't damage appliances. I'll ask the store to try the Pro with another charger to check.

I did pull all the cables off and reseat them, Tonyz3, and try different power outlets, but no luck. I guess it's a warranty job.

- Es

Footloose

My adapter failed after 9 months. It's been backordered for several weeks -- fortunately I bought the last one in the store. Leads me to wonder if this problem is widespread.

David RM

I had the same problem twice. First with the one that came with the surface pro and now with the one I replaced with. The issue seems to come from that small cable that connects from the plug to the adapter box. More precisely where the cord connexts with the connector. The thing seems to work when I jerk it around.

Could be that the cord is so small that any movement cause more stress than the longer cords on other adapters. Ultimately breaking the cord.

Martin Russell

I bought my Surface Pro one week ago. Charged it immediately - no problem. Haven't had a lot of time to use it, so the battery only ran low today. Plugged in the charger, turned on power and - nada. No little blue light, no power to the Pro, no action.

I've checked with a multimeter and power is getting from the outlet to the transformer. It's coming in at 248V (I'm in Oz) which is a bit high since the charger range is 100-240V, but our standard supply tolerance is +/- 5%, and it wasn't a problem last week. Anyway, power is getting from the transformer to the connector at 12V, which is right according to the small print on the transformer. For some reason, power is not getting from there to the battery. The connector seems to click into place OK and nothing is obviously loose, missing or dirty.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions, or is it back to the store with warranty in hand?

Thanks
I'm having the same problem after 6 months! Must be a faulty design

I just posted a similar story in another thread. My charger failed after 6 months. It started to fail but as mentioned above, moving the cable at different angles worked for a short while but then soon failed completely. Now another 6 months on the same thing has happened to the replacement. These chargers do not seem sturdy enough for daily use.

vinjones

Same problem here I squeezed the tablet about 2 inches from the plug and it started charging. Probably bad connection to battery/charging monitor. Microsoft won't budge guess another $1000 brick for my wall.

Space Junk

So roll forward to 2016-03, same problem for me, my brand new Surface pro 4 delivered today worked at work but not at home because it does not charge. I am academic staff in a top 100 QS ranking university and am based in the electronic engineering department in the UK
1st I checked the fuse, actually the fuse cap came off the fuse when I took it out of the plug, not a good sign but put it back together gain (a al Humpty Dumpty - old English Nursery rhyme if you don't understand this saying). Fuse is in working condition, just about.
Next put an AC mains detector on both sides of the transformer but signal is weak.
I examined the mains power cable end into the transformer which is a double-oval shape. In may case there is a US/Chinese plug cable that came with the adapter box plus another one with a UK plug.
I notice that the UK cable double-oval shape connector did not seem to fit into the transformer socket well hence when I plug it into the mains it was not charging.
I put my phone via a USB cable into the USB socket of the mains transformer to check if it charged - no.
Then I looked at the Chinese /UK double-oval shape connector, it seemed to have a much crisper mold and seemed to 'click' into the power transformer better.
So then put the Chinese adapter / plug via a plug converter to UK plug and this works.
So in my case, the poor quality molding of the double-oval end of the cable to the transformer is the cause.
Isn't it amazing that something so very very low cost, not well manufactured, can quite possibly cause customers to be so annoyed with a brand that they send it back for a refund and trust it less?
Thisalso give us non super-league vendor researchers hope to complete if such basic product problems happen and are not detected in quality control,
(Am a huge fan of Microsoft by they way, they have produced many great S/w and h/w products from their onset - so for me this is forgiven)
Space Junk

IHC

Finally! After reading countless forum posts, messages, watched various Youtube videos and gone to miscellaneous web-sites the solution written above by Space Junk was the only one to identify the problem I was having and how to "solve" it. Basically you must wiggle the double-oval connector that slots into the charger/adapter itself for therein lies the problem! Thanks! (Actually, more than just wiggling it you must push and force it in as far as it will possibly go even if it already seems pushed in as far as it ought to go - I might try to "shave" off some of the plastic end of the double oval connector so that it can go "in" further without too much pressure applied from me)