What's new

Surface Pro charger not working

Tracker

I am a bit late to the party, but am having a similar problem with my Surface Pro One. From time to time I would have to jiggle the plug to get the blue light to come on, but about two weeks go, my "low battery" icon popped up and I plugged the charger in. This time, no matter how I jiggled the connector, no blue light, so I left it on all day, but nothing. I thought the charger had failed, so I ordered another, which arrived today. Same result. I have cleaned the port and connector. At this point, the battery is so spent that the tablet turns itself off as soon as it fires up. Am I looking at needing a replacement battery?

RickStrokes

I am currently having the same issue! My charger has been acting up recently and usually needed to play with it in order to charge, but after a couple of minutes of toying with it, it eventually would work. But it eventually crapped out on me. So i bought a new charger and it seemed to work fine, but catch this! I was at my girlfriends house last night and was using my Spro2 to play some music as we cooked dinner. My device battery eventually died and i didn't have the charger with me so i just let it be until i got home. But i noticed an orange glowing light coming from the right side of the SPro2. When i got home even my NEW CHARGER didn't work. tried cleaning it, hard resets, etc. Anyone have any ideas whats happening?

Tracker

Hard to get answers to this. I am pretty sure my battery is OK and the problem does not look to be the charger, so it has to come down to the port and although I am reasonably handy, opening the tablet up and fooling around with the innards looks to be too intimidating. So, it looks like I have an expensive paperweight, and I had just bought a blu-tooth keyboards.

hiker

Finally! After reading countless forum posts, messages, watched various Youtube videos and gone to miscellaneous web-sites the solution written above by Space Junk was the only one to identify the problem I was having and how to "solve" it. Basically you must wiggle the double-oval connector that slots into the charger/adapter itself for therein lies the problem! Thanks! (Actually, more than just wiggling it you must push and force it in as far as it will possibly go even if it already seems pushed in as far as it ought to go - I might try to "shave" off some of the plastic end of the double oval connector so that it can go "in" further without too much pressure applied from me)
Thanks for the idea on shaving the connector. I used an xacto knife and took off a millimeter and it started working again (for now!). Maybe MS should include one with this product :)

bobloblaw

I had a similar issue as Space Junk, but my charger had been working for about a year with no issues. Basically, it feels kind of loose when you push it in all the way (it can wiggle in any direction). It seems as if the contacts are somewhat shot, but with a little fiddling, I managed to get it working again. I just cannot wiggle it much in any direction.

Bazza

Solution is: buy PowerAdd rechargeable battery and surface pro connector - see Amazon

The problem is clearly that the SP chagrers are trying to be too clever. The PowerAdd creates a simplet 12v charger for the battery.

Only problem is that Amazon sourced SP connector is a bit flimsy but cheap enough, compared to Microsoft chargers, to buy several cables at once.

PowerAdd can also charge many other bits fo kit simultaneously

Asrade

Here is the issue with the charger. I found one of the terminals connecting to the socket head burnt and disconnected. See the picture below.

Just open the charger's socket head (the one you plug into the wall socket) and repair it. It's a simple procedure. Please see the picture I posted here...
IMG_20180210_002917.jpg
IMG_20180210_003002.jpg

Ezzy

My SPro charger randomly stopped working. The machine was fine, only the charger base was not working (not heating up).
Anyway, booked an appointment at the Microsoft store for tech support. Got a coffee to pass the 15 minute wait. Went to appointment. Charger was dead. I got a good three years out of it. Tech personnel said, “That’s pretty good for a charger.” Bought new charger in store. Cost about $120 CAD. Machine back charging and working.

Bazza

I bought my Surface Pro one week ago. Charged it immediately - no problem. Haven't had a lot of time to use it, so the battery only ran low today. Plugged in the charger, turned on power and - nada. No little blue light, no power to the Pro, no action.

I've checked with a multimeter and power is getting from the outlet to the transformer. It's coming in at 248V (I'm in Oz) which is a bit high since the charger range is 100-240V, but our standard supply tolerance is +/- 5%, and it wasn't a problem last week. Anyway, power is getting from the transformer to the connector at 12V, which is right according to the small print on the transformer. For some reason, power is not getting from there to the battery. The connector seems to click into place OK and nothing is obviously loose, missing or dirty.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any suggestions, or is it back to the store with warranty in hand?

Thanks
I've often written on this problem with an SP3. New chargers work for a little while and then die although happily charging my phone through the USB.
Unsure of the reason but I now use a Power Add battery pack and a 3rd party cable - works a treat.

Bazza

My SPro charger randomly stopped working. The machine was fine, only the charger base was not working (not heating up).
Anyway, booked an appointment at the Microsoft store for tech support. Got a coffee to pass the 15 minute wait. Went to appointment. Charger was dead. I got a good three years out of it. Tech personnel said, “That’s pretty good for a charger.” Bought new charger in store. Cost about $120 CAD. Machine back charging and working.

Bazza

I've often written on this problem. Chargers have short life although the USB port usually remians working for phones. The last charger I bought laster about six weeks.
I now use a PowerAdd battery pack and a 3rd party cable which has proven reliable.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 7 year old laptop chargers work fine, in fact I have an old Toshiba T1100 Plus that still works, I got it in 1986. :)