What's new

Surface Pro did what it set out to do

BennyDBowser

The Surface Pro is a success without selling one unit.

Look at Lenovo's Helix
Sony's Viao and Dell's XPS convertibles

Microsoft has forced other OEMs to push Windows 8 like they may not have without the Surface. Those same models could has very well been meant for Android (Chromebooks) or never released.

I am getting a Surface Pro...but even if I am the only one getting it; Microsoft and the Surface Pro has accomplished their goal.

Tom T

The Surface Pro, much like the Surface RT, are concept devices. I agree that Microsoft meant to set a standard, and frankly they did well. I think the RT is a far better device than it seems to be getting credit for being, but the Pro is not quite there. Powerful and sleek, it unfortunately lacks the battery life to be taken seriously as a tablet. Defend this device to your hearts content, and I should say that even understanding its shortcomings I will most likely own one soon, you simply can't deny that it won't truly be viable until the next generation of less power hungry processors come into their own.

OP
B

BennyDBowser

The Surface Pro, much like the Surface RT, are concept devices. I agree that Microsoft meant to set a standard, and frankly they did well. I think the RT is a far better device than it seems to be getting credit for being, but the Pro is not quite there. Powerful and sleek, it unfortunately lacks the battery life to be taken seriously as a tablet. Defend this device to your hearts content, and I should say that even understanding its shortcomings I will most likely own one soon, you simply can't deny that it won't truly be viable until the next generation of less power hungry processors come into their own.

I hear you and I may be a bit different. My goal is to replace a T520 with the Surface Pro. As far as battery life is concerned this T520 gets 6 hours on a good day and that's with the extended battery. (Granted, I have had it for two years, but it wasn't much better than 6 hours ever.) So with what is available today Intel, Qualcomm, etc. The Surface has the best of the best internals and is the lightest of the light. (Although I just tested one out at Best Buy and it's got some significant weight to it)

Last edited: