What's new

Surface Pro Doesn't Include Office?!

Sin

No, I was referring to the price for the RT. As for the Pro, it seems fairly priced relative to an Ultrabook, which will also not have Office included. Also the Pro seems targeted towards the corporate environment and so Office Home and Student would be completely inadequate for a business machine. Outlook and Access and pretty standard for a work machine.

scadarick

Guys, I just have the office 365 option, paid yearly. Its not a bad way of getting office 2013 IMO; its installed on my mac, my win 8 pro desktop, my android Droid bionic, and now my tablet with 1 more install left for my hp entertainment laptop. To me..in the long run this was a better option for me. I can cancel anytime as my equipment changes, which it does a lot...big-time techie. A few bucks a month does not hurt, its better than buying 5 copies of office 2013 for all my equipment. That's a lot of bucks....what if I changed equipment and did not need office on it, I am out big bucks, this way I got control of office any way I choose....now I need to find the right forum to add some info on WiFi improvements I just did...and WORKED!

TagsxA

Guys, I just have the office 365 option, paid yearly. Its not a bad way of getting office 2013 IMO; its installed on my mac, my win 8 pro desktop, my android Droid bionic, and now my tablet with 1 more install left for my hp entertainment laptop. To me..in the long run this was a better option for me. I can cancel anytime as my equipment changes, which it does a lot...big-time techie. A few bucks a month does not hurt, its better than buying 5 copies of office 2013 for all my equipment. That's a lot of bucks....what if I changed equipment and did not need office on it, I am out big bucks, this way I got control of office any way I choose....now I need to find the right forum to add some info on WiFi improvements I just did...and WORKED!

I have 365 as well and everything about it is well-worth the cost for me. I have 3 children and 4 computers (including my SP). It's so nice to be able to load office on any device I have.

scadarick

I have 365 as well and everything about it is well-worth the cost for me. I have 3 children and 4 computers (including my SP). It's so nice to be able to load office on any device I have.

I have to agree too, I thinks it's a bargain considering the entire price of stand alone with same programs. Man that a bunch of bucks, our way we can deactivate, I have twice then installed on another device....now that I like and the new metro style always connected to the cloud or in my case the network storage box on my USB port on router. You when you think about it, you would have to pay more for certain programs, because model would not sell like stand alone, so that many computers is a issue. One I am having now, it's like I have Symantec program subscription to because of al the different devices and usage that week I guess. Good luck with office and the kids.....grin.....

machistmo

How long can office stay relevant in a 'do more with less' app environment? It almost feels odd to pay $9 for an app to say nothing of hundreds of dollars for the office suite. If I pay $9 for an app today it pretty much has to be awesome.

Tom T

I have tried so hard to make a tablet solution that would allow me to untether myself from office and the final and only working solution? Affordable tablets were finally made that runs simply runs Office, problem solved for me. They even just through in a pretty nifty and free app for my Galaxy Note 2 phone.

Office 2010 seemed like a reasonable approach to me; I was able to find the student pack at a reduced price so all in all I'm happy. The question is what do you really need office for? That should be what determines the package you buy.

Last edited: