What's new

Surface Pro downgraded to accessory status...

mitchellvii

I gave my SP a real try as my #1 goto machine for work during the day. Yesterday I decided to go back to my desktop and downgraded the SP to just a nice tablet. Nothing against the SP, it's just that sometimes there is no replacement for a powerful and fast desktop at the office. Plus even with the extended monitor I got a bad case of small-itis trying to use the SP as a secondary screen. Additionally if it isn't hooked up to an external monitor it will be a lot easier to use my SP for actually taking handwritten notes.

Just reminded me that anything with less than an 11.6" screen will always be an accessory for me and not the main act. Am just going to set up an automatic syncing to keep my SP up-to-date with what's on my desktop so I can run with it when I need to be away from the desk.

Think I'll wait on something like the Samsung ATIV Q or the Dell XPS 11 before I consider a hybrid as a true desktop replacement. Surface Pro was close but just not quite there.

kristalsoldier

Understandable! This is one of the (minor) reasons that I did not wait for the Pro to arrive in my market and went with the RT instead. I knew that I would not be able to work on a 10.6" screen as fulltime machine - heck...even a 12" screen (as my former ThinkPad X201 was - brilliant machine, btw) was proving to be difficult to use though I did appreciate the mobility-factor. As things stand, I will continue to use the RT as my main machine when mobile and that includes for the time I spend in my office (which is not too much!). But the bulk of my work is done on my laptop (14" ThinkPad hooked to an external monitor) which sits on my desk in my study. Now, unless, there is a dock that will allow for the Pro (and/ or the RT) to be hooked into two monitors with zero lag and no rendering issues etc., then I would consider it as a primary machine - but then again, I think it is always good to have at least two front-line machines - after all this is technology that we are referring to and these things do break down!

Nuspieds

My SP is connected to two Dell 30" monitors; one via DP and the other via USB (StarTech). Let me tell you that there is no lag! USB is obviously not the best approach but since the SP doesn't support DP 1.2, then it is the next best approach.

I replaced my ThinkPad W700 with the SP and haven't looked back since! When "docked" at home, it definitely is my primary and only "desktop" device, which is much more powerful than my W700. Especially coming from the W700, I never tried to use the SP as-is/out-of-the-box as my desktop replacement because of the screen size, keyboard size, and available ports. So, from the outset, I made sure I had not one, but two external monitors, a full-sized keyboard, mouse, and USB hub. With the exception of the USB hub, that setup is no different than when I used my W700.

I would not be able to use my SP as my primary device if I didn't have it docked to those external monitors because the screen is just too small to for Desktop apps on a day-to-day basis. By exception, however, the screen size works for me; for example, when I'm travelling.

When I'm not docked (including at home), that's when I spend most of my time in Tablet mode, using Modern UI apps and, for me, screen size is definitely not an issue in this scenario. That's because those apps are specifically written for Tablet/touch mode, so they are very easy to use. Desktop apps on such a small screen, however, is challenging but I have no issues using them as such, as long as it is on an exception basis.

EuroKnuter

As for me, I have gotten quite used to the size of the SP, and even the type keyboard. I can see where this wouldn't work for everyone (I've always said each person should choose a device or devices that work for them - it's always YMMV).

Aside from my WP 7.x, the SP is the only device I use. I absolutely LOVE the fact that everything comes with me wherever I go, and the package is exceptionally compact. I was actually surprised at how well this worked for me, having always used laptops at 17" and full-power desktops all of my professional life.

That said, I'm looking forward to my next-gen device, whatever and whenever that may be.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I believe the thing that makes my experience different than many others is my heavy reliance upon an Access database which was designed with larger screens in mind. If I was just using Word or Excel or Outlook the diminutive screen size wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

tonyz3

I hope that doesn't mean the op won't be hanging out in the forums as much..:wink: you know..doesn't seem worth it for just an accessory..

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I hope that doesn't mean the op won't be hanging out in the forums as much..:wink: you know..doesn't seem worth it for just an accessory..

Yep, once I sell or give away my SP you won't see me much anymore. Please, no tears, lol.

DOS

I'm very heavy into development and Access Databases as well, but I never intended for the SP to replace my powerhouse workstation. It has always been my mobile unit and will remain so.

EuroKnuter

Distributed developer here, use 2 or more screens when working - but I don't do my development laying in bed. Hard core workload (I use my SP as a DAW, too) is docked in my office with multiple screens, full use of USB3 accessories, etc. I have no expectation of doing the big job while running in 'tablet mode.'

roteixeira

I believe the thing that makes my experience different than many others is my heavy reliance upon an Access database which was designed with larger screens in mind. If I was just using Word or Excel or Outlook the diminutive screen size wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

Access? uuurrrg.... goosebumps... lol

mtalinm

hate to say it but I'm getting there too. the ULV i5 is no match for the full-power i7 on my Lenovo x230. and it drives me nuts that I can't balance it on my lap.