What's new

Surface Pro downgraded to accessory status...

Krooked

I use a cintiq 21ux as my main monitor and have a 24" second monitor hooked up to my desktop. I doubt the SP would drive them both with any amount of speed.

I use my SP to do my schoolwork while hanging out upstairs with the mrs. I freaking love this thing. I've been waiting for a tablet that can run ALL of my programs.

I still have my iPad 3 (which I use as my second "reference" monitor), but the SP is my new favorite tablet.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

hate to say it but I'm getting there too. the ULV i5 is no match for the full-power i7 on my Lenovo x230. and it drives me nuts that I can't balance it on my lap.

I'm not saying the SP is a bad device. I really depends on how you want to use it. Those who want to use the SP as it was designed to be used obviously love it. Those who wanted something different but chose the SP as the "best athlete available" at the time are now growing disappointed. It's awesome, it just isn't "there" for me. I honestly knew when I bought this that I would probably feel this way eventually, but I just hate WAITING and WAITING for the cool new models to come out. I mean, they have announced the ATIV Q and the XPS 11 and I have to wait till friggin Christmas to pick one up? That s*** drives me nuts.

Krooked

Don't forget to look at the helix. I almost grabbed one of those instead of the SP. The SP won due to it's smaller footprint.

CrippsCorner

Don't forget to look at the helix. I almost grabbed one of those instead of the SP. The SP won due to it's smaller footprint.

Is that Steven Sinofsky's footprint!?

microsoft-surface-skateboard.jpg

tonyz3

I'm not saying the SP is a bad device. I really depends on how you want to use it. Those who want to use the SP as it was designed to be used obviously love it. Those who wanted something different but chose the SP as the "best athlete available" at the time are now growing disappointed. It's awesome, it just isn't "there" for me. I honestly knew when I bought this that I would probably feel this way eventually, but I just hate WAITING and WAITING for the cool new models to come out. I mean, they have announced the ATIV Q and the XPS 11 and I have to wait till friggin Christmas to pick one up? That s*** drives me nuts.
yep the waiting is always a pain. i am sure your list of poss new gear will get larger before xmas, should be a good holiday. i bet a few will rush things out early to grab some pre xmas sales.

MJS9

I'm not saying the SP is a bad device. I really depends on how you want to use it. Those who want to use the SP as it was designed to be used obviously love it. Those who wanted something different but chose the SP as the "best athlete available" at the time are now growing disappointed.

Disappointed by the Surface for not being something it wasn't designed to be? Is the disappointment not with yourself, for buying the wrong tool for the job? We've all done it, and will do it again

mmoss2

Have you looked at the Samsung 700t / Ativ Pro? It has specs similar to SP but a larger screen and is available (in the US anyway) now.

fonzman78

Disappointed by the Surface for not being something it wasn't designed to be? Is the disappointment not with yourself, for buying the wrong tool for the job? We've all done it, and will do it again

Totally agree with this. I'm surprised at the number of SP owners who have purchased it wanting it to do more than it was meant to do. IMO, the Surface was a portable, full computer in a tablet form factor. Nothing more, nothing less. The small form factor was targeted to those who wanted to work while out of office and have access to full productivity programs. I love my SP but would never consider it replacing my desktop. Rather, it complements it. I can do heavy work on my home desktop (a fast gaming rig) and then grab my SP to work while meeting with clients or on the road. Since I have Windows 8 on my desktop, any work I do out of office is waiting for my on my desktop when I get back. I have bought into the Windows ecosystem because it absolutely works.

As for the competitors, I don't see the value for me. Trust me, I have researched them all. However, they all look and feel like laptops which can twist, turn, or pull apart and become quasi tablets. At the end of the day, when I need to use them in tablet mode, I have to hold a heavy 'laptop' in my hand. Or, I have to pull off the keyboard rather than just fold it back. The whole purpose for getting the SP was to get away from a 'laptop'. It's all a matter of preference. There is nothing sweeter than walking into a meeting with an SP. It just looks sexy compared to the myriad other laptops/hybrids/tablets in the room.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Lol, you are kidding right? Disappointed with myself? That my friend is a metaphysical impossibility.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Totally agree with this. I'm surprised at the number of SP owners who have purchased it wanting it to do more than it was meant to do. IMO, the Surface was a portable, full computer in a tablet form factor. Nothing more, nothing less. The small form factor was targeted to those who wanted to work while out of office and have access to full productivity programs. I love my SP but would never consider it replacing my desktop. Rather, it complements it. I can do heavy work on my home desktop (a fast gaming rig) and then grab my SP to work while meeting with clients or on the road. Since I have Windows 8 on my desktop, any work I do out of office is waiting for my on my desktop when I get back. I have bought into the Windows ecosystem because it absolutely works.

As for the competitors, I don't see the value for me. Trust me, I have researched them all. However, they all look and feel like laptops which can twist, turn, or pull apart and become quasi tablets. At the end of the day, when I need to use them in tablet mode, I have to hold a heavy 'laptop' in my hand. Or, I have to pull off the keyboard rather than just fold it back. The whole purpose for getting the SP was to get away from a 'laptop'. It's all a matter of preference. There is nothing sweeter than walking into a meeting with an SP. It just looks sexy compared to the myriad other laptops/hybrids/tablets in the room.

Yes the SP competes will with other CURRENT devices but compared to upcoming tech like the ATIV Q or the XPS 11, it is looking pretty lame. MS better bring it with SP II (if there ever even is one - I mean where is MS talking ambitiously about an SP II? Anyone?). I never denied that SP was "the best athlete in the draft" and not really the player I wanted at the time.

Last edited:

tonyz3

Yes the SP competes will with other CURRENT devices but compared to upcoming tech like the ATIV Q or the XPS 11, it is looking pretty lame. MS better bring it with SP II (if there ever even is one - I mean where is MS talking ambitiously about an SP II? Anyone?). I never denied that SP was "the best athlete in the draft" and not really the player I wanted at the time.
here you go.Microsoft anticipates 7-inch, 7.5-inch, and 10.6-inch Windows 8 tablets at super high resolutions | The Verge