What's new

Surface Pro downgraded to accessory status...

fonzman78

Yes the SP competes will with other CURRENT devices but compared to upcoming tech like the ATIV Q or the XPS 11, it is looking pretty lame. MS better bring it with SP II (if there ever even is one - I mean where is MS talking ambitiously about an SP II? Anyone?). I never denied that SP was "the best athlete in the draft" and not really the player I wanted at the time.

I'm surprised that you would use this argument. At what point do you make a purchase? Is there any doubt that the ATIV Q 2 will be better than the ATIV Q? Should we wait for the inevitable XPS 13 because it makes the XPS 12 look lame? For goodness sake, the SP(1?) just came out 4 months ago. And already folks are all over MS for not releasing any info on the next SP. As for me, I will enjoy my SP until MS, in its' wisdom, decides to release info on the next SP. Until then, I will be very happy with the CURRENT SP.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If you read the article you will notice that MS said NOTHING explicitly about a SP2, just higher resolution tablets. Don't you think that if MS were SURE about an SP II that they would mention it?

One could argue that the whole point of the SP was to motivate MS's partners to create some great hardware for Windows 8 (after all, MS is a software company first and foremost). Anyway, it seems they have done that, so what purpose does an SP 2 serve and does MS possess the economies of scale to make it successful and profitable against the Dells and Samsungs?

MS never intended to make money with hardware - it was just a way to push software, sort of like the Kindle is just a way to sell books.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I'm surprised that you would use this argument. At what point do you make a purchase? Is there any doubt that the ATIV Q 2 will be better than the ATIV Q? Should we wait for the inevitable XPS 13 because it makes the XPS 12 look lame? For goodness sake, the SP(1?) just came out 4 months ago. And already folks are all over MS for not releasing any info on the next SP. As for me, I will enjoy my SP until MS, in its' wisdom, decides to release info on the next SP. Until then, I will be very happy with the CURRENT SP.

I make the purchase at the point a device comes along that does what I need it to do. For me the SP was never that but I needed "something" and it was the best there was at the time. Right now the ATIV Q looks like my dream machine. Anyway, happy for you the SP is all you want. For me it's like a girl with a great body and a big nose. Sure there's a lot to like about her but I just can't get past that snoz.

tonyz3

If you read the article you will notice that MS said NOTHING explicitly about a SP2, just higher resolution tablets. Don't you think that if MS were SURE about an SP II that they would mention it?

One could argue that the whole point of the SP was to motivate MS's partners to create some great hardware for Windows 8 (after all, MS is a software company first and foremost). Anyway, it seems they have done that, so what purpose does an SP 2 serve and does MS possess the economies of scale to make it successful and profitable against the Dells and Samsungs?

MS never intended to make money with hardware - it was just a way to push software, sort of like the Kindle is just a way to sell books.
i think it has to do with trying to sell stock, sched of build, supply chain delays, or some combo there of

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

i think it has to do with trying to sell stock, sched of build, supply chain delays, or some combo there of

Think about it. Two keynotes at BUILD and not a peep about SP2? I am more convinced than ever there will be no SP2.

CrippsCorner

Think about it. Two keynotes at BUILD and not a peep about SP2? I am more convinced than ever there will be no SP2.

I think if this was to be the case though, they would have never bothered announcing that Microsoft had become a 'software and devices' company.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I think if this was to be the case though, they would have never bothered announcing that Microsoft had become a 'software and devices' company.

Well, for one thing, of course they are going to say that since they are now selling "devices". However, there are many compelling arguments for not creating a SPII. Basically it isn't necessary. Yes, I can see smaller versions of the Surface running Windows 8 with atom (or something like it), but the SPII?

You have to ask yourself, why?

1) Will MS earn a profit from it? Probably not.
2) Will it help to make people adopt Windows 8 as the SP1 was intended to do? Probably not.

So if the SPII doesn't earn a profit on it's own and doesn't sell more software, what purpose does it serve to the Shareholders of MS? Face it, the economies of scale for a company like MS to build expensive hardware devices like the SP suck. I believe they will keep selling tablets (at a loss) just like Amazon sells Kindles (at a loss) to push content, but the SPII? Don't see it.

Last edited:

Spaniard

There isn't too small screen, there's too far screen. And big screens aren't touch-friendly. Once my Surface Pro arrives, I'm going to sell my desktop.