What's new

surface pro dual boot / Full disk encryption question

dave

Is it possible to install linux (debian/ubuntu) on the surface pro and dual boot linux / win 8?
If so what drivers are / are not supported?
Is there any full disk encryption solutions for windows 8.1?

CrippsCorner

Well it should be fine seeing as though the Surface Pro is a full computer :) I've not tried though so can't help with any information on drivers etc. Just out of interest though what use do you have for Linux? Personally I've always found it a very frustrating OS... the only reason I'd see why someone would want to use it is because it's free.

OP
D

dave

Well it should be fine seeing as though the Surface Pro is a full computer :) I've not tried though so can't help with any information on drivers etc. Just out of interest though what use do you have for Linux? Personally I've always found it a very frustrating OS... the only reason I'd see why someone would want to use it is because it's free.

okay.. my only concern was the bootloader working with linux
I develop applications for a hobby
I am wondering also how visual studio runs on the pro..
If anyone is interesting in selling a pro, i have bitcoin... message me

dlacaba

I run Visual Studio Express Phone/Win8 etc. without problems. Only issue is screen real estate, but you could just use an external monitor.

As for developing apps, you wouldn't necessarily need to dual boot, you could just create a VM for Ubuntu. I haven't done it personally, but I have done it for CentOS.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You biggest issue with attempting to dual boot will be the UEFI Secure Boot and drivers, I would enable the Hyper-V role and install Linux in a VM. Visual Studio will run fine, but I would be worried about the disk space it eats up.

OP
D

dave

guys thanks for the info.. Nice video.
Im still looking for one, if anyone wants to sell!!