What's new

Surface Pro Failed to Update to 8.1 - Help needed

eyeheart

Hello, I recently tried to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1 on my surface pro. It failed during the update and restarted. Now everytime i start it up it trys to restore previous installed version of windows. It hangs there for hours. Tried making a bootable usb and when I try to reset pc it hangs at please wait.

(PS how long should it take to restore version of windows I left my computer trying to do it for 12 hours to no avail. The circly dots give me hope that its trying to do something )

I don't know how this can happen with microsoft software on a microsoft device.

Any help would be amazing.

demandarin

I think your best bet would be to call Microsoft tech to trouble shoot it. its still under warranty so you should be covered. Especially if their own update caused this to happen. they know some people are having this issue so they should have no problem helping you.

good luck on recovering it. you can also check MS own forums on their website. I hope someone else more knowledgeable on this front can assist you here sooner than later.

can you get into a bios menu or any sort of bootloader? if so is there an option to factory reset or go back to a previous restore point?

OP
E

eyeheart

Previous Restore point works after 6 hours, but at the end it just says Finished! without any options. ( which gets me excited but when I restart it still trys to restore previous version. ) Im trying factory reset now its at about 4 hours now.

thanks for the speedy response. Just thought i'd try here to see if someone has any other secret thing I could try before I go to microsoft.

OP
E

eyeheart

Also a quick question. I know they released a image of the surface RT because of 8.1 but has anyone heard anything about the Surface Pro Image yet? I talked to Microsoft and they said my best bet is to find someone with a surface pro and get an image from it to boot from. Thanks for the help Microsoft.

scadarick

Previous Restore point works after 6 hours, but at the end it just says Finished! without any options. ( which gets me excited but when I restart it still trys to restore previous version. ) Im trying factory reset now its at about 4 hours now.

thanks for the speedy response. Just thought i'd try here to see if someone has any other secret thing I could try before I go to microsoft.

I have a few friends pretty much trying to do the same thing, and yes it took hours. I can not understand why either because I have do most of them. always worked for me. I am now on SP2 / win8.1. always make a USB backup, you never know.

scadarick

Hello, I recently tried to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1 on my surface pro. It failed during the update and restarted. Now everytime i start it up it trys to restore previous installed version of windows. It hangs there for hours. Tried making a bootable usb and when I try to reset pc it hangs at please wait.

(PS how long should it take to restore version of windows I left my computer trying to do it for 12 hours to no avail. The circly dots give me hope that its trying to do something )

I don't know how this can happen with microsoft software on a microsoft device.

Any help would be amazing.

not sure if this pertains to you or not, but if you have not updated all your win8 updates, installing windows 8.1 will fail.

OP
E

eyeheart

Oh it did. Haha. Talked with Microsoft for about 2 hours trying to recover it, their best solution was to take it to a Microsoft store. I don't see why they cant supply an image for the PRO when they so easily released an Image for the RT version. But they will give you a free image of the PRO at the Microsoft store which are few and far between where I live.

oion

Oh it did. Haha. Talked with Microsoft for about 2 hours trying to recover it, their best solution was to take it to a Microsoft store. I don't see why they cant supply an image for the PRO when they so easily released an Image for the RT version. But they will give you a free image of the PRO at the Microsoft store which are few and far between where I live.

I think because an image for the Pro could, maybe, be hacked into a working version of the full Win8.1 OS and shared over the intarwebs illegally. WinRT, on the other hand, can only be run on ARM devices, and RT drivers are going to be rare to nonexistent compared to Win8 drivers for other hardware. But ultimately, who knows... I don't know of any vendor that releases full OS images online; they didn't even release full Windows OS recovery discs back in the day.

Last edited: