What's new

Surface Pro Firmware Update Issues

paesan

After the updates my stylus did not work. I did a shut down (not restart) and waited for a few minutes. I restarted and the stylus now works.

Kiwibru

Geez, reading this compilation was like a cliff hanger novel! Take away, re-boot, re-boot, re-boot with time in between as necessary.

Garyjk

i had the yellow bang, too. when i first installed, i was on battery and was informed i needed to charge the battery before proceeding, did that and updates installed.
after 3 restarts and system updating messages, it booted and had the yellow bang.
i tried disabling and enabling. i tried rolling back the driver. i tried uninstalling the driver and rescanning for hardware changes.
i tried stopping windows update service and deleting the software distribution folder, so all of the updates could be re-downloaded.
tried it with and without the keyboard.
finally, shut it down, went and did some stuff for 45 minutes, turned it on and no more yellow bang on the sytem aggregate firmware.

so. maybe leaving shut down for a while helps.

paesan

i had the yellow bang, too. when i first installed, i was on battery and was informed i needed to charge the battery before proceeding, did that and updates installed.
after 3 restarts and system updating messages, it booted and had the yellow bang.
i tried disabling and enabling. i tried rolling back the driver. i tried uninstalling the driver and rescanning for hardware changes.
i tried stopping windows update service and deleting the software distribution folder, so all of the updates could be re-downloaded.
tried it with and without the keyboard.
finally, shut it down, went and did some stuff for 45 minutes, turned it on and no more yellow bang on the sytem aggregate firmware.

so. maybe leaving shut down for a while helps.

Definitely need to do a cold boot. Shut down the pc and wait, then reboot. FYI, a cold boot often solves many problems. This allows the memory to adequately clear.

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Shutdown/restart multiple times didn't fix my stylus issue, so I started a chat session with MS support and she told me to hold the power button down for 15 seconds, then turn the Surface back on.

Surely enough, that did the trick.

Rkwin

I had a number of problems after the update--especially inability to start screen after sleep--I did a system restore which I assumed got rid of all the updates--that fixed the re-start problem--but now it also knocked my wedge mouse out--cannot be recognized--anyone have a solution to that issue? tx

J515OP

Super Moderator
I had a number of problems after the update--especially inability to start screen after sleep--I did a system restore which I assumed got rid of all the updates--that fixed the re-start problem--but now it also knocked my wedge mouse out--cannot be recognized--anyone have a solution to that issue? tx

You probably need to pair it again.

Deryl McCarty

had the same problems yesterday and replied on another thread. Here is what I found:

"Okay, I experimented enough to answer my own problem. Here is what I found.

(1) TonyZ3's triangle question was the key to finding out how to have my Surface Pro recognize that it needed to update the firmware after failing the first time. I opened up the device manager, saw the firmware aggregator (aggravator???) triangle, right clicked on it, uninstalled it, told it to remove the device from my computer and restarted.
(2) I went to the Windows Update in control panel, asked it to see if any updates were available and "aha!" the firmware update was identified and downloaded along with a note that it would Restart and install. The first time I said yes, I failed again and the restart hung up without installing. So I went through (1) and (2) again, but this time I reasoned (why? I am not sure) that perhaps the firmware update expects a barebones or "as delivered" machine on which to install the software and I have pretty much every output hole in my surface full - USB (Hub with 5 devices), MiniDisplay (MDA) Port and SDXC slot (SDXC 64GB). So,
(3) I disconnected EVERYTHING that did not come with the machine and tried again (all gone except the Type Cover). The update downloaded, told me it would restart, it did, the "updating system software" showed under the word SURFACE on the startup screen, stayed on for about a minute, then re-re-started normally and when I checked the Device Manager and Update history all was right with the world. Firmware update successful and Device manager showed no triangles of any color.
(4) I did a shutdown, re-filled my USB, MDA and SDXC ports, restarted, came back to this forum and wrote this.

Hope this helps someone else."

Rvacha

FWIW I did this (as well as the other posted tricks like leaving it powered off for 15min) and it did not work. What did work (I'll be the first to admit it might have been a fluke) was uninstall the firmware, restart in safe mode (I could not get safe mode with networking to work - Win8 kept reporting after startup that networking was not available in safe mode even though it is a listed boot option!). After trying a handful of times to get networking to work (so I could run Windows Update) I gave up and went back to normal boot. THEN the update went off without a hitch. Go figure.

machistmo

I have downloaded and installed all of the updates, to include the Firmware update. When I look at Device Manager, I see the yellow caution flag under Firmware. Specifically the "Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware" is flagged. The General tab states that "This device cannot start" .

A quick look at update history shows that this update failed. Have uninstalled, restarted, etc. no solution.

Any ideas?

I had the same situation. If you click properties it will ask for a reboot : See Screenshot :
System Pro System  Agg Error Updates.png

After I clicked finish it reset the Surface and gave me a black screen saying SURFACE under that "Please wait while we apply a system update." Then the unit rebooted and I was good to go.

Last edited:

machistmo

meant for this to be in the above post. Sorry type cover is to blame, or maybe the operator and not having had enough coffee yet?

After I clicked finish it reset the Surface and gave me a b lack screen saying SURFACE under that "Please wait while we apply a system update." Then the unit rebooted and I was good to go.

Last edited:

Cowboy

meant for this to be in the above post. Sorry type cover is to blame, or maybe the operator and not having had enough coffee yet?

After I clicked finish it reset the Surface and gave me a b lack screen saying SURFACE under that "Please wait while we apply a system update." Then the unit rebooted and I was good to go.

From what I have read there are many way to attempt fixing this and only some of them work and then only some of the time. The same as you I tried all the tricks I could think of. Roll back the driver, uninstall the driver, uninstall and delete the software, depress the on/off switch for 15 seconds, etc. Nothing worked so I just rolled it back to the previous driver and left it that way. This morning after I read your message I went into device manager, firmware, picked the third item down which was no longer called Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware but just something like "Firmware Resource", and selected update driver, search automatically. In a fraction of a second it said "Update Complete" and I saw the name had been changed to Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware, and there was no yellow flag. Not content to leave well enough alone and firmly believing that a reboot would bring back the yellow flag, I rebooted. The flag was still gone and the name was still Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware. So MAYBE I am out of the woods on this one.