What's new

Surface Pro for an outside sales rep

brando123b

Hi everyone,

I just joined because I'm hoping to garner some feedback from those of you who use the Surface Pro (Or Pro 2) in a sales environment.

I'm an outside rep for a payroll company. I currently fill out several forms at appointments, ranging from needs analysis to new deal paperwork. All of these forms are in .PDF and I print them, fill them out, scan them, then e-mail them to the correct people. In addition, I could have my clients sign directly on the device in places where I need their signatures.

After seeing how great the stylus is with the Surface, I had the idea that I could do all my notes, paperwork etc on the Surface, writing on the actual .PDF, then saving it and e-mailing it direct from the device.

Also, I have payroll software that is Windows based that I could run on the Surface (Won't run on an iPad) as well as spreadsheets in Excel and Google docs.

On paper it seems like a fantastic solution to a very inefficient paperwork heavy process I have now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the viability of this, or how it has worked for them?

Thanks!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is a perfect use case for the Pro 2 (I recommend as it has much better battery life). You can use Drawboard PDF. I would also pick up the Car Charger just in case as well...

OP
B

brando123b

I originally got the idea as the Surface Pro (Original) is down to $599. Do you think it would truly be worth it for the extra $300.00?

daniielrp

I originally got the idea as the Surface Pro (Original) is down to $599. Do you think it would truly be worth it for the extra $300.00?

Well the Pro 2 increases battery life from 4-5hrs to 7-8, but I guess the choice between the two would also depend how 'long' you're actually using the device, is it just filling out forms for a few mins then putting the device to sleep?

OP
B

brando123b

The longest appointment would be max 2 hours, but most are an hour. If I had a car charger that would likely get me through a day no problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also, keep in mind that Desktop Application are much less battery efficient than the Modern UI Apps, so if you are in the desktop mostly it will impact you battery life. the Car Charge though should get you through your appointments.

OP
B

brando123b

I'm really starting to think this might work. I guess there is no harm in picking one up and giving it a shot. Worst case I have a 30 day return period.

Is there any advantage to purchasing through Microsoft Store vs. Best Buy?

lparsons21

I got mine at BestBuy and they had an open box one available. Same warranty, looked new. I suspect someone bought it and didn't like it. Saved a few bucks that way, essentially paying for the taxes.

And of course, if you go to the BestBuy store the biggest advantage is that you will have it in your hands when you leave.

But be prepared to order whichever 'Cover' you decide to get as it is highly possible they won't have one in stock in the store.

As a former outside salesman, I would have given my eye teeth to have something like this back then. Get a car charger from MS and you're good to go all day!! :)

bluegrass

It will add a little weight but won't the new battery keyboard that suppose to be out soon wok on the Surface Pro. This probably would definitely give you enough power to get you through your longest appointments. Although I believe it might add an additional $70 over the cost of a regular type keyboard. Even though it sounds like you will be doing a lot of note taking and some other tasks with a pen, I still think you'll definitely want to have keyboard on board.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is the car charger really $49.99? Is there a cheaper alternative?

You're about to spend $600 on a new tablet, I would go ahead and pickup the one designed for the Product. I use an in-car invertor and it doesn't give very "clean" energy and causes the Active Digitizer to misbehave...