What's new

Surface Pro for import

Ashles

If I managed to get a friend in the US to purchase a Surface Pro on release day and send it to me in the UK, would I likely experience any compatability issues using it in the UK? (Other than needing a plug adaptor)

ArnoldC

I don't think so. Just remember to change your region so that the services, such as xbox, news, etc., will reflect your region. Mine was purchased from Australia and I'm in the Philippines, hence Philippines region.

Chubnut

The keyboard will have a slightly different layout and once you set the regional settings to UK they will be more obvious. Things like the £ sign will be missing altogether as will the € and a few other signs are in different places. If you can cope then there shouldn't be any problems. See the link which may help

http://www.uk-yankee.com/articles/us-vs-uk-keyboards-layouts-and-how-type-poundeuroother-symbols

When I picked up the RT in the States, I had to dump/return the keyboard.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
A

Ashles

Presumably I can buy a UK Type keyboard in advance from the UK store (or John Lewis).

I also want a spare charger - I wonder if the RT charger would work with a Pro.

Chubnut

You can defiantly buy keyboards here in the UK. John Lewis have stocked them too. It's on my wish list to still purchase. They have other accessories too but didn't see too many when I was last there. I'm using a US charger in an adapter. Works fine
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

J515OP

Super Moderator
Presumably I can buy a UK Type keyboard in advance from the UK store (or John Lewis).

I also want a spare charger - I wonder if the RT charger would work with a Pro.

Nothing has been officially stated as far as I know but I would be extremely surprised if the RT and Pro don't use the same charger. MS already went with a non-standard charger and they would have to be crazy to go with two different proprietary chargers. As listed on their website the accessories appear to be universal since there aren't different accessories listed by device. This is reassuring though it could simply mean they haven't specifically listed anything only for Surface Pro.

bosamar

Nothing has been officially stated as far as I know but I would be extremely surprised if the RT and Pro don't use the same charger. MS already went with a non-standard charger and they would have to be crazy to go with two different proprietary chargers. As listed on their website the accessories appear to be universal since there aren't different accessories listed by device. This is reassuring though it could simply mean they haven't specifically listed anything only for Surface Pro.

The Surface website says:

Power Supply:

- Pro 48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)
- RT 24W power supply

J515OP

Super Moderator
Duh, I should have checked the specs. I only looked for a different charger under accessories ;) It does sound like a completely different charger including a USB charging port. 24V @ 2A or 12V@4A? If the latter you should still be able to use it on the RT if the tip is the same. Guess the mystery continues. Not nice MS :disappointed:

bosamar

Confirmed. This video shows the Pro's 'Dual Purpose Charger' [video=youtube_share;u3btj8E6NKA]http://youtu.be/u3btj8E6NKA[/video]

J515OP

Super Moderator
Nice commercial. I don't know if it is good for mass consumption (a little too educational video style) but it is good at explaining some basic Surface Pro features.