What's new

Surface Pro for studies and hobby editing?

Anubis

Hi

My cousin bought the Surface Pro a while ago, and I really like the concept. I currently have a 2009 MacBook Pro (Intel Core 2Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB) that has worked well, but it is getting quite sluggish and just generally worn out.

My main use for a laptop is studies (surfing and writing documents) and on my spare time I like to take pictures and capture videos that I later edit in Photoshop and After Effects.

My MBP has always been a little slow in After Effects, and since it is only a hobby it isn't too important that I get the top of the line performance. What I have been wondering is if AE will run okay on the Surface, or if I should rather go with an ultra book? Is the Intel Graphics HD 4000 good enough for AE?

The reason why I am considering the Surface is the combined laptop/tablet solution. The only thing I wished it had was 4g, do you think that will be implemented on a future version, and when do you think the Surface will be updated?

Thanks ;)

dlacaba

I've used Photoshop, but not After Effects, but a quick google search gave me this article so it looks like it's more than possible.

Microsoft Surface Pro Review | Pocketnow

As for 4G, I personally just use my cell phone and tether it to my surface. It's good enough that I can watch netflix without any issues. I don't know if it will be implement in a future version, but with wireless readily available almost everywhere nowadays, I don't see it as a necessity. Also since it has a USB port, you could always use an aircard. Not as convenient as built in 4G, but there are ways.

OP
A

Anubis

Thanks for the input, I have scanned through (and searched) that article but somehow managed to overlook the sentence about AE :confused:

The hotpoint/4g "dongle" is okay, only that if there were any rumors about a new version the integrated 4g would be convenient.

I am considering getting the Surface Pro and a Nokia 925, a complete windows system. The only thing is that I like the Gmail and Google products better than their Microsoft competition, do you have good experience with any Google apps on the Surface/Windows phone? I guess I could just use the online services though.

Lolvo

I don't mess around with CSx or AE, but I do use my Surface for schoolwork and everyday business. So far, it has met and/or exceeded my needs for school - I have three textbooks that are electronic, which I view on my Surface in-class daily. Of course, with full Office suite, creating and managing documents of essentially every type is no issue - nor is sharing those creations with classmates/professors. I addressed my use of eTextbooks in another thread discussing a new Surface commercial.

As for connectivity, I would never use my tablet on a 4G/LTE connection unless absolutely necessary. It simply takes too much data - and if you're like me, and the rest of the world, you do not have an unlimited cellular data plan (was grandfathered to one with AT&T, switched to Verizon). I have tethered a connection to my Surface from my Samsung GSIII, and I used up nearly all of my monthly plan in one day with my woman. So, no, I would not use cellular connectivity option with my Surface. Nearly everywhere has accessible wifi nowadays, especially where I use my tablet most - home and school.

Also keep in mind my experiences are on the Surface RT, not the Pro. That may give you perspective as to the usage of both devices in real world applications...

OP
A

Anubis

Thank you guys, I think you are right.

The 4g is a non-existing problem, for the few places I do not have WiFi access I can just use my phone, don't really need any elaborate software when I am on the go. Good thing I work in an electronics store so I get good prices on these things :D Think I will be buying the Surface Pro sometime the coming weeks.

Lolvo

Thank you guys, I think you are right.

The 4g is a non-existing problem, for the few places I do not have WiFi access I can just use my phone, don't really need any elaborate software when I am on the go. Good thing I work in an electronics store so I get good prices on these things :D Think I will be buying the Surface Pro sometime the coming weeks.

It is definitely a great device, good luck with your decision.

OP
A

Anubis

Just one more question:

Do you think the Surface Pro will be updated within the end of this year? I really like the device, but if I can buy it with updated hardware and better battery performance in just a few months I would rather wait. How long do you think it will take before a new model is released?

dlacaba

The sentence regarding AE is at the very end...

Do some work on a video editing project in Premiere Pro, create a Blu-Ray interactive menu in Encore, design some special effects animations in After Effects? Not a problem. Sure you’ll be more efficient with most of those programs on a large desktop system, but with the Surface Pro, you can also work on them while walking through a hallway, sitting on the couch, or standing on a crowded subway train.

Also, found this article regarding release date.

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 coming in early 2014? | World News Views

It has the 4G you were looking for, although you probably have to wait until next year.

OP
A

Anubis

Thank you, I think I will try and wait it out. It actually fits perfectly with my trip to New York City ;)
Will save my money and live with the MBP through this semester I think.

Thanks for all your help ;)