What's new

Surface Pro Future

Is the Surface Pro Line Dead?

• Total voters

convergent

Given today's announcement, I think its clear that the Surface Pro not only has a bright future, but also the competition is getting better in this category as well so the whole category has a future. I really think this is going to canibalize the pure tablet iPad category more and more as people don't want to have 3 $1K+ devices to carry around - smartphone, laptop, and tablet. As this gets better and better the laptop can go.

Turbo4AWD

Given today's announcement, I think its clear that the Surface Pro not only has a bright future, but also the competition is getting better in this category as well so the whole category has a future. I really think this is going to canibalize the pure tablet iPad category more and more as people don't want to have 3 $1K+ devices to carry around - smartphone, laptop, and tablet. As this gets better and better the laptop can go.

Funny you say that. The new Surface Pro ad on YouTube actually calls it a "Laptop"! So weird. I still consider it a tablet with the ability to become a laptop, but a Tablet first still. I also feel it is the best form factor currently for mobile computing. I don't always want to have the keyboard stuck to the screen anymore. I'm not always typing paragraphs of stuff. The on screen keyboard has been enough for me for the longest and when the time comes to type a lot, I just attach the keyboard. When I am done, I almost immediately remove it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Laptop went when the SP3 was released. It's more than powerful enough for the vast majority of users (even the base line model), and the keyboard is more than good enough for a full time keyboard. Peoplestill seem to want to complain about the keyboard making it unviable, yet somehow I managed every single university assignment and dissertation with it and it was a joy to type on.

I will admit though, it has not replaced my tablet. But we're talking a nexus 7, because it's a completely different form factor. It certainly did make my nexus 10 redundant though. There is no denying the enhanced user experience on android or ios, but only if that experience involves youtube and replying to a forum post etc. Anything else and windows 10 is far superior, and will continue to get better with windows 10 S. I must admit it is very nice using my surface as a tablet and not having every other website in existence trying to push you over to an app each time you load a page.

Long live the surface :)

Funny you say that. The new Surface Pro ad on YouTube actually calls it a "Laptop"! So weird. I still consider it a tablet with the ability to become a laptop, but a Tablet first still.

I think it might just be for simpliocities sake so as to be more appealing to the wider market. I know that I have to refer to it as a laptop for any of my family or friends to know what I'm talking about. Until I did that, my brother was just under the impression that it was nothing more than a tablet no different to an ipad, and was shocked when I informed him otherwise and launched call of duty.

convergent

Funny you say that. The new Surface Pro ad on YouTube actually calls it a "Laptop"! So weird. I still consider it a tablet with the ability to become a laptop, but a Tablet first still. I also feel it is the best form factor currently for mobile computing. I don't always want to have the keyboard stuck to the screen anymore. I'm not always typing paragraphs of stuff. The on screen keyboard has been enough for me for the longest and when the time comes to type a lot, I just attach the keyboard. When I am done, I almost immediately remove it.

Laptop went when the SP3 was released. It's more than powerful enough for the vast majority of users (even the base line model), and the keyboard is more than good enough for a full time keyboard. Peoplestill seem to want to complain about the keyboard making it unviable, yet somehow I managed every single university assignment and dissertation with it and it was a joy to type on.

I will admit though, it has not replaced my tablet. But we're talking a nexus 7, because it's a completely different form factor. It certainly did make my nexus 10 redundant though. There is no denying the enhanced user experience on android or ios, but only if that experience involves youtube and replying to a forum post etc. Anything else and windows 10 is far superior, and will continue to get better with windows 10 S. I must admit it is very nice using my surface as a tablet and not having every other website in existence trying to push you over to an app each time you load a page.

What I don't get is the 2in1 category with the 360 degree hinge. I would never want to use one of those as a tablet. The Surface Pro is the right way to do it. When I'm at my desk, I remove the keyboard and fold it down as flat as it will go to be a note taking tablet; using my 4k display as my primary screen with external keyboard/mouse. Then when I want to leave, I can just undock it and throw on the cover for the road.

And lets not forget the ability to use it during takeoff and landing on a plane (for now) which is not allowed with a "laptop".

I think Microsoft may be trying to push this form factor higher up the food chain by declaring it a "laptop". Two reasons for that... 1) the tablet market seems to be saturated and declining; and 2) Apple refuses to come out with anything that competes with this. This is a spot where they have the potential to break out against Apple while they are stumbling a bit with their touchbar that was not well received.

Turbo4AWD

I think it might just be for simpliocities sake so as to be more appealing to the wider market. I know that I have to refer to it as a laptop for any of my family or friends to know what I'm talking about. Until I did that, my brother was just under the impression that it was nothing more than a tablet no different to an ipad, and was shocked when I informed him otherwise and launched call of duty.

I could never go the tiny screen route with a tablet. At least 10" for a tablet. My Phone is just as big in size so why not use that for a "smaller form factor tablet"?

Regardless, I was tired of being on a tablet and being told "this page not viewable on mobile device" or "this video not available for mobile device" so gone was the iPad and I replaced it with a Surface....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I could never go the tiny screen route with a tablet. At least 10" for a tablet. My Phone is just as big in size so why not use that for a "smaller form factor tablet"?

Regardless, I was tired of being on a tablet and being told "this page not viewable on mobile device" or "this video not available for mobile device" so gone was the iPad and I replaced it with a Surface....

I had the tablet since launch and it's great for ebooks in the bath, and a quick Google of this or that. Nothing serious. If I had to write any more than this post id just use my surface. And my phone is an HTC m7 and that thing is way too large as it is for a phone, but way too small for enjoyable browsing.

btreece

No LTE available for preorder but will be available? When?
No USB-C due to backwards compatibility with dock
Pen pressure 4x better with latency 21ms vs 45ms.
50% longer battery regardless of how you measure it.
Fanless cooling? Like to know how! More copper than SP4? All software controlled energy management related?
How is new keyboard different than SP4?

convergent

No LTE available for preorder but will be available? When?
No USB-C due to backwards compatibility with dock
Pen pressure 4x better with latency 21ms vs 45ms.
50% longer battery regardless of how you measure it.
Fanless cooling? Like to know how! More copper than SP4? All software controlled energy management related?
How is new keyboard different than SP4?

There will be USB-C via a dongle that attaches to the dock port. Another thread started on that topic.
The Acer Switch Alpha 12 has had fanless cooling of their i5 and i7 similar machines since they came out last year, so this isn't new. Not sure if Microsoft is using the same technique they did... probably not.

CrippsCorner

They do here too!

Microsoft Surface on Twitter

The new Surface Pro is the most versatile laptop

I understand what @hughlle is saying about the definition of a 'tablet' but at the end of the day the fact the Surface Pro comes without a keyboard, surely can't mean it's a standalone laptop out the box. I think Microsoft are still trying to figure this out themselves!

rockface

Claiming it is a "laptop" associates it as a mobile devices with desktop capabilities. Perhaps MS is trying to help define a "tablet" as a device with a mobile operating system but is too large to use as a phone. I'm sure all the youtube videos comparing the SP to an iPad Pro and other Android tablets pissed them off! Distinguishing the difference between MS's version of a tablet and everyone else's is a very important marketing strategy. The SP is really a new class of computer... one without a name to define it. I'll bet MS had many meetings trying to decide what to call this thing but could never settle on a name.

Since people can use it on their lap with or without a keyboard, the term "laptop" allows the SP be far more than a tablet.

This conversation will happen again someday when MS comes out with a phone-sized device with desktop capabilities.