What's new

Surface Pro has VERY good battery life - around 6 hours for me.

HoHo

I had the Surface Pro 64GB for a few days now. I am very happy with the battery life. I've been getting just under 6 hours which is great for such a powerful computer. I work at home a lot and I have been able to kick-back in my family room on my comfy leather sofa. I love the pen too. It is so useful for pointing at smaller icons on the screen. I had many ultrabooks and laptops and nothing come close to the usability of the Surface Pro. This will go anywhere with me. I just wish there was a 4G option.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Wow, that is good battery life. What screen brightness?

I am sure you already know but you can hotspot to a phone or mifi device or get a usb modem instead.

OP
H

HoHo

I am just using the standard out of the box power settings. I think 50% which is very bright.

yes, I know I can get a 4G / wi-fi hotspot or tether to a phone for access to internet on the go. Just wish there was an option, but not a deal breaker.

bosamar

Isn't tethering actually cheaper than straight 4G service? I would only need it on certain occasions like at the doctors office.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Isn't tethering actually cheaper than straight 4G service? I would only need it on certain occasions like at the doctors office.

Not usually but it depends on your plan. Basically the carries want to charge you for another full data plan no matter how you connect.

OnTheSurface

I am just using the standard out of the box power settings. I think 50% which is very bright.

yes, I know I can get a 4G / wi-fi hotspot or tether to a phone for access to internet on the go. Just wish there was an option, but not a deal breaker.

I'm all for optimism, but there is no way in hell that you are getting close to six hours of continuous use at factory settings. You would be the only person, ever.

I can see if you turned all wireless off, and brightness down to minimum, but even then six is a stretch.

Ashles

I'm all for optimism, but there is no way in hell that you are getting close to six hours of continuous use at factory settings. You would be the only person, ever.

I can see if you turned all wireless off, and brightness down to minimum, but even then six is a stretch.

I am also getting this kind of battery life.
Agreed it may be because it's new and I have mostly been using just internet and Office, but at the moment it's battery life has been quite excellent.
I have prob had screen at about 35 - 40% brightness.

machistmo

I think the way one uses their device also affects the battery life. For example, I have had a hunch with the RT and the PRO as well for a while, that using the device in Desktop Mode drains the battery slightly more quickly(or more quickly) than using METRO primarily. And I am getting spot on 4 hours, sometimes slightly less. Been using mine for 45 minutes straight from 100% and I am stting at 82% remaining. I have to say I don't see the life as an issue at all. I am never 4 hours away from power. I see for college students maybe this would be an issue. What conference room doesn't have a power outlet? I bought a second power brick for the office. I have got to say that so far I am in love with my PRO in a way I just couldn't get next to the RT. :in love:

Last edited:

xterrapro

Agreed, for my use case 4 hours is just about what I need. I prefer the form factor (slim) of the RT over the Pro, but the RT IMO has too many compromises (performance, being the largest).

zhenya

The point behind long battery life, IMO, is not that I am frequently away from a plug for more than 4 hours, but rather that having to travel with both the device and its power cord everywhere makes it considerably less portable. I can reliably leave the house with an ipad for a day or two without a plug. Not with the Surface Pro. I can't even go an afternoon.

Russ

Zhenya --

Since your "conclusion" has long been known to anyone who has followed your posts, my only question is: Why are you still flogging this poor, dead horse?

Ok, we got it. The Surface Pro is a loser (at least according to Zhenya). So, why not just let it die a well-deserved death, rather than interminably flogging it?

Oh, I have another question: Exactly whom are you trying to convince -- us, or yourself?

Regards,

Russ