What's new

Surface Pro Heat questions

mrjoe94

Hi guys, I just got my Surface Pro yesterday and so far I really like it. After reading that it handles the game Civilization V really well and is even optimized for touch controls I was ecstatic. I installed it and it plays beautifully. However it seems to run really warm. It could just be that i'm not used to the fact this is basically a laptop and they get hot under work. I just want to make sure my processor won't fry :p. Anyone else play this game and have problems or am I being paranoid?

vinumsv

its laptop in tablet form so you don't have space of a laptop for ventilation so it would get pretty warm when doing cpu intensive stuff .. btw our processor MAX Temp is around 105C then it ill auto-throttle

Ruffles

I play Civ on mine and it does get warm. Since I have the keyboard folded back, I usually don't notice the back getting warm but with Civ, I feel it on the screen.

mitchellvii

A couple things you can do here:

1) Power Settings - Believe it or not, the default fan settings for your SP while on battery power is "Passive", in other words, no fan. Saves power, cooks your rig. Brilliant. Anyway, you can change this by going to Control Panel > Power Options > Balanced > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management > System Cooling Policy > On Battery (Change this to "Active")

2) ThrottleStop - Yes, as your SP heats up above 80C it will throttle the CPU; however, if you are gaming that will not make you happy. What you can do to avoid that is download a free app called "ThrottleStop" that will keep it running full bore. The good news is your SP won't heat up much more than 80C no matter what so the throttling really is unnecessary.

You can do a full read on ThrottleStop and how to make it work here:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...stop-running-your-surface-pro-maxxed-out.html

** Your SP will get MUCH hotter than the average tablet. Power = heat and this unit has teenie tiny little fans so it is to be expected. A good case or the keyboard flipped back will prevent your digits from getting scorched.

Last edited:
OP
M

mrjoe94

Thank you for the replies! I was just worried that I was killing the insides. I changed the fans to active. The heat does not really bother me physically (I have a case being shipped).

mitchellvii

Thank you for the replies! I was just worried that I was killing the insides. I changed the fans to active. The heat does not really bother me physically (I have a case being shipped).

Yeah Intel CPU's can take a lot of heat.