What's new

Surface Pro - Marvell AVASTAR 350N wifi speed?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry if this has been explained above but can I clarify... is it possible to set the Surface to receive 5GHz only?

Also, did anyone every find out if the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 have different chips? I somehow doubt it as I've heard of problems on both models.

Typically you set this up at the router setting different SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so if your SSID is "kayzee" create a new one called "kayzee_5Ghz" and bind it to the 5GHz Radio and the "kayzee" to the 2.4GHz Radio.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How much do you want to spend? I bought the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk and so far it has been amazing, I get 270Mbs on my Pro 2 on the 5GHz and 300Mbs on my S2 on the same....

pierre118

Typically you set this up at the router setting different SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so if your SSID is "kayzee" create a new one called "kayzee_5Ghz" and bind it to the 5GHz Radio and the "kayzee" to the 2.4GHz Radio.

That's exactly what I do at home. my SP at 5GHz, and the rest of my equipment at 2.4GHz. Never had any problems.

Rvacha

How much do you want to spend? I bought the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk and so far it has been amazing, I get 270Mbs on my Pro 2 on the 5GHz and 300Mbs on my S2 on the same....
Ooooh... that's on my short list (other being the Asus RT-AC68U, similar Broadcom chipset, also AC). Did you happen to try any others before getting the Nighthawk?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, I read/watched the reviews and looked at the UI's for how to configure and then selected the Netgear based on Price to Features ratio (it was $30 less then the Asus at time of purchase).

CrippsCorner

Oh I think I've you for a recommendation before! I remember seeing that router... I don't want to be spending loads though because my maximum download is only 14Mb/s anyway.

Rvacha

My interest is a bit different. I'm on DSL so my internet speeds suck! The reason I am interested is that I am very network-centric, both at home and office. The SP2 WiFi speed is really painful when you keep the bulk of your stuff offline on a local server

revmike

Jeff, I have a question. I just purchased the Nighthawk router the other day, but I'm experiencing ups and downs on signal strength on my Surface Pro 2. It goes from 3 bars to 4 and then back to 3. Do you know of anything that I can change on the router to stop the variations. Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, I have a question. I just purchased the Nighthawk router the other day, but I'm experiencing ups and downs on signal strength on my Surface Pro 2. It goes from 3 bars to 4 and then back to 3. Do you know of anything that I can change on the router to stop the variations. Thanks

Have you applied all of the R7000 Firmware Upgrades? I've had it since November and I've had 4 updates. My bars fluctuate a bit, but I maintain 270Mbps consistently.