What's new

surface pro microphone issue!.. please help

alanxiaoyi

i got surface pro on the first day morning. and I found this microphone problem hours ago when I first make a Skype phone call with my friend.
My friend told me that there is very loud background noise. So I make some tests with several recorder app in different room and tried to unplug power . And the noise is not caused by fan. The background noise is big enough to be noticed (very big in some sense) and sound like electronic noise. Like electromagnetic interference.

So I wonder if you guys have the same problem? or I guess I need to replace for a new one.... I always get bad luck on electronic stuff...

Could anyone try it out? thank you.

bosamar

Maybe an electronic device in your room is interfering with your mic like when two speaker phones are on at the same time and close to each other.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Maybe an electronic device in your room is interfering with your mic like when two speaker phones are on at the same time and close to each other.

This is a good guess if you are using the Surface near an unshielded speaker you could get that kind of interference though you indicated you tried it in different places.

OP
A

alanxiaoyi

Thank you guys ! I try to use it in different room, not help..

Probably this one need to go back..You know what, my friend refuse to talk to me through Skype unless I use an ipad instead..... The noise drive her crazy!!

I called ms for a replacement, hope they get one in stock...

curney

While I have not used Skype with the surface Pro yet I do use DragonDictate and I am dictating this reply from about 3 feet away from the mic in my office while there is a bunch of music and other things going on in the room.

eL777

I found out that I have this issue when I was calling my girlfriend on Skype as well... since then I have tried to fully reset the device and have had no such luck. She explained the sound as like a pot of water boiling and I have done my own tests using Sound Recorder in Windows and the sound comes and goes... I've put my ear against the device next to the microphone where the vent opening is and I can hear a high pitched noise emitting from inside the device and I don't know if this is normal or if that has anything to do at all with whatever it is I'm hearing. I put in a service ticket with Microsoft and hope the next unit does not have this issue because I was hoping to use this device to Skype a good bit.

eL777

Also, are any of you experiencing crystal clear audio when you record yourself or is it normal to hear some static no matter what? The reason I ask is that I turned the microphone boost down some and that did help but the static is still there on skype... just wondering what everyone else is experiencing.

HoHo

To lower the background noise. Check the Microphone Boost setting. It needs to be at 0 db.

Right click on the Speaker icon on your lower right of your desktop. Select Recording Devices, then select the Recording tab. Click on Microphone, and then click the Properties button to bring up the Microphone Properties. Click on the Levels tab. You will see 2 settings. 1) Microphone level 2) Microphone boost. Make sure #2 is at 0 db.

eL777

To lower the background noise. Check the Microphone Boost setting. It needs to be at 0 db.

Right click on the Speaker icon on your lower right of your desktop. Select Recording Devices, then select the Recording tab. Click on Microphone, and then click the Properties button to bring up the Microphone Properties. Click on the Levels tab. You will see 2 settings. 1) Microphone level 2) Microphone boost. Make sure #2 is at 0 db.

I have done this and still receive some static noise in the background... is that considered normal? I'm in a completely silent room with no other gadgets around me. Thanks.