What's new

Surface Pro Native Apps are crashing on open

JeffWeiss

Has anyone else noticed that after the last set of Microsoft Updates a bunch of the native applications on the start screen no longer open ? They crash silently when touched. In particular, the "Photos" viewer, the Calendar, Messaging, Skydrive, and Travel have all stopped working.

The computer is all of two days old, so it appears to be a recently introduced bug...

Thoughts on how to fix ??

OP
J

JeffWeiss

The problem appears to be related to Kaspersky Anti Virus which I have running on all of my machines. The latest MS updates interfere with that, at least for the Surface Pro Apps... Will figure out how to let Kaspersky know...

In the meantime I will have to disable it... sigh...

souldier

I see. Ive never been a big fan of anti virus programs, so I never use them. I havent been using them for years and I havent gotten a single virus. I think its all about being cautious of what sites you go to and what links you open. Microsoft also has something built in that also catches some intruders

vook

I see. Ive never been a big fan of anti virus programs, so I never use them. I havent been using them for years and I havent gotten a single virus. I think its all about being cautious of what sites you go to and what links you open. Microsoft also has something built in that also catches some intruders

I visit to many shady sites to do that personally . In any Case Windows Defender should be more than adequate and has low overhead. Don't become a botnet!

Edit: surface forums should support surface smileys!

Technical Angel

I have this happening for one domain user (so far).

Apps (including PC Settings) crash immediately upon trying to open them. Only exception we could find was the IE app. I've had this happen to this user on two separate devices. In fact, I JUST got back from our MS store, and none of the techs on site have seen it before. I'm taking it back up on Monday to show it to our Business Account tech.

jhs3ofdc

I am experiencing the same issue since the last round of updates. Rebooting nor refreshing worked. MSFT support is not helpful with this issue. I'm trying not to "restart" the PC which requires removing all of the files that were not native to the original device.

Last edited: