What's new

Surface pro or pro 2?

ItsLymeLite

Hey everyone new guy here. I'm basically here because I am shopping for a surface pro and I got some questions. Not really sure if I should post this on the surface pro part of the forum or surface pro 2 but here's my question

Is there any thing major changes wise from surface pro and surface pro 2? From the info I gathered of course you got the newer processor and better battery and the kick stand but what else? I am asking this mainly because I see some pros online for 600$ for a 128 gig vs the pro2 for 900$ For 64gig and 1000$ for 128gig

Would I gain any big improvements by getting the pro over pro 2?

Also is there any issues that are in the pro that exist that was fixed or improved in the pro 2? I assume most of you guys upgraded from the pro to the pro 2

Also the 4gig vs 8 gig memory debate

Is it worth it to just get one with 8gigs of memory?

As much as I want to say I do amazing things and use photoshop and other great stuff I occasionally edit with Photoshop and causally record music every now and then (nothing major) other than that I waste my time browsing the web and getting lost in hours of random YouTube videos lol

redbrick

If you're looking for reasons to justify an 8gb ram setup....I think you just did...cool stuff/photsoshop??? There you go...

GoodBytes

Is there any thing major changes wise from surface pro and surface pro 2? From the info I gathered of course you got the newer processor and better battery and the kick stand but what else? I am asking this mainly because I see some pros online for 600$ for a 128 gig vs the pro2 for 900$ For 64gig and 1000$ for 128gig
That is all the changes. It up to you if it maters or not.

Would I gain any big improvements by getting the pro over pro 2?
Battery life (from ~4h to 7-8h depending on usage), more performance (not much, but still), second angle kick-stand which might be a must for you or not.

Also is there any issues that are in the pro that exist that was fixed or improved in the pro 2? I assume most of you guys upgraded from the pro to the pro 2
I only got the Pro 2, because the Pro 1, had downsides which prevented me to consider it. So I decided to stay with my old laptop for another year for Microsoft to rectify them and they have. The downsides for me was the 1 angle kick-stand, I prefer it more lean back, which the Pro 2 does. And most importantly, battery life.

Also the 4gig vs 8 gig memory debate

Is it worth it to just get one with 8gigs of memory?
Depends on you. Look at your current system how much you consume under Windows 7 or 8 at the worst case situation. See if you need more or not.

OP
I

ItsLymeLite

Thanks for the input. Actually I was looking into the original pro as it falls in my budget vs the pro 2 just wanted to see if there were anymore improvements I may have missed looks like I might opt for that. My current computer is a dell venue 8 pro.

cdf3

In addition to what others have already mentioned, the Surface 2 runs cooler. The original surface feels very warm after using it for extended periods, while the Surface 2 is still cool to the touch. The speakers on the Surface 2 are much louder than the original. Volume of 100 on the original Surface, is around 60 on the Surface 2.

Philtastic

Battery life is the biggest reason to get a 2 over the original. 7-9 hours vs. 3-4 with light usage.
If you play any games, the SP2 has the HD 4400 integrated vs. the 4000, roughly 25% more powerful which will let you keep a decent framerate on low-medium settings at 720p.

jefhart

If you're looking for reasons to justify an 8gb ram setup....I think you just did...cool stuff/photsoshop??? There you go...

Photoshop doesn't actually use that much ram unless you are using some crazy filters or something. I only have a 128gb model and I've never run out of memory so far.

Tsurugaya

The fan on the SP2 rarely engages while it's fairly prominent on the original, if you have "rabbit ears" you might take that into consideration.

Korlon

Well if you can wait until say September or so, I assume that's when MS will release the SP3. I'm sure the SP2 will come down in price as well as I can't see MS selling a tablet at a higher price point than the SP2 sells for. It would be suicide to do so, therefore I think the sp2 will slide down the price scale in Q4. May be well worth the wait.

CrippsCorner

Just to mention bug wise, reading through these forums almost every day I would say Surface Pro 2 seems to have more problems than the original... one important one to know is that if you do decide to go for a lower storage option, micro SD cards seem to reduce processing power on the Surface Pro 2, whereas on the original this doesn't happen.

jimkraz

I have the original Surface Pro, hand on heart I can say I have never had one little hiccup since un-boxing, I use as my daily machine, switched on most of the day, never a problem, I also have the original Surface RT, same for it, no problems what-so-ever, enjoyed every day I have had them, have a 23" monitor with HDMI to connect to, hardly ever use it. Jim