What's new

Surface Pro password locked

apoc_reg

Hi Guys,

I am loving the early hours with my pro however the one thing that is really annoying me is that when i unlock it it asks for a password.... its driving me a little mad :)

I heard that you can change this but under mine I have the "security policies are preventing you from changing..." message. I tried removing my exchange sync account (work emails etc) but it still doesn't let me change it to not requiring a password.

Any ideas?!

Edit: I'm lying, that has sorted it! Is there anyway to get it to do this without losing my exchange sync...?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would need your Work IT Department to change it's EAS Policies or use OWA. Sometimes, depending on the level of enforcement, now that you've removed the account you can set a PIN then add the account back it you can use the PIN vs. Password, you will still need to enter the PIN to unlock your machine though.

Arizona Willie

I too hate the Lock screen and the password to use the computer.

I'm the only one who uses this.

How can I fix it so the computer boots straight into Windows without any lock screen or password required?

bosamar

If you have a linked MS account i don't think there is any way to get around it. Why not just use a 4-number pin. It's easier that way.... Settings > Change my PC settings > Users > PIN

J515OP

Super Moderator
I too hate the Lock screen and the password to use the computer.

I'm the only one who uses this.

How can I fix it so the computer boots straight into Windows without any lock screen or password required?

Desktop>Control Panel>Power Options>Require a password on wakeup

You will have to put in a password on boot but not when resuming after booting.

Arizona Willie

I just checked and i already have it set that way. No password required on resuming.
I don't use sleep and hibernate though. It has always seemed like everyone who does has problems getting the computer to wake up, sooner or later.

Garyjk

Ok thats fair enough, thanks for the info!

if you want to skip logging in, do this:
press windows key +R to display the run dialog
type in
control userpasswords2
press ok
uncheck the "users must enter a user name....."
click ok
supply the login credentials in the dialog
restart and you should get right to the start screen

Garyjk

I just checked and i already have it set that way. No password required on resuming.
I don't use sleep and hibernate though. It has always seemed like everyone who does has problems getting the computer to wake up, sooner or later.

not sure exactly what you're seeing, so i'll throw this out there in case it helps anyone:
windows key + r to display the run dialog
type in
gpedit.msc
expand computer configuration->administrative templates->control panel-> personalization
double click "don not display the lock screen"
click enabled, then OK
close group policy editor and log off

johnowacki

PIN and picture password are designed only for tablet PCs. If you've forgotten local/Microsoft account in Surface Pro, you can unlock the password using this trick. But if you forgot your PIN or picture password, you have no other choice but to reset/refresh your PC to factory settings. So I suggest you create a password reset disk before you forgot your password, after logging into your PC.