What's new

surface pro/pro 2 concept case. what do you think?

manonthebrain

Hello
As some of you may know, good surface cases are hard to come by. Some have good functions but suffer from compromise or bad build quality. Others don’t fully protect the surface during use (e.g. a sleeve) and others protect the surface but hinder many of the cool features and intended use of the product like the stylus holder, usb ports that are too small and most importantly VENTILATION. (It’s kind of insane that some pro cases don’t have vent slots. did they even look at a surface pro??)

So that’s why I’m trying to make a case of my own for the world to use. it will hold the stylus where it’s supposed to be, be usable with both the type and touch cover and offer good protection of the corners and most all the edges on the surface.
surface case concept (2).png

The case will be a snap on made of hard plastic that will be 3D printed. This will make the case both cheap and accessible to many more people round the world. The case can be customisable to ones content even after it is put on the web.

*PROTECTION: the case will protect all 4 corners of the device, protecting the surface from dings and scratches if happens to take a tumble and will help protect the bottom corners and the kickstand from wear when in use. The bumper going around the device will also be able to give easy access to ports, the stylus will fit on the side of the device and the keyboard will fit In between the two pads on the bottom of the case

*Ventilation: the case will have a band going around the outside of the device that will serve two functions. 1. Keep the rear edges intact if dropped by providing a buffer zone. and 2: keep heat insulation to a minimum by not having the entire back covered and not covering up the exhaust at the top of the device.

*DESIGN: the case will be as light as practically possible and still offer sufficient protection for day to day use. It will leave almost all ports open and functional with stylus support

So why am I here?
I do not have a 3d printer or any knowledge of 3d printing. I want to find a group of people who are willing to help develop such an object.
If you could help or have tips or would like to give your opinion on the case, they would be greatly appreciated.

beq

I too would like a bumper case a la the original Apple iPhone bumper. Protect the edges and corners that always get dented and scratched, but leave ports and heat dissippation open (while maintaining a slimmer profile than the Incipio feather which I find to be too thick even compared to other tablet snap-on cases).

But I would prefer a rubberized or soft-touch finish for better grip. The naked Surface has always been too slippery in my hands and on whatever surface I lay it on. For example it has slid off the sofa onto the floor multiple times.

Unfortunately I think it will be a challenge to design a bumper case that will still fit in the Surface Pro Docking Station. Anyone think it's possible?

OP
manonthebrain

manonthebrain

this is not what every one needs. the main reason i want to do this on a 3d printer is so every one can have what they want. some need ruggedness ,others might want something that will fit in there sleeve while in transport and others want good protection with peace of mind that there device wont cook itself to death. it is also marginally cheaper that what there making off of the limited choicest that are currently being offered. the incipio case doesn't hold the stylus in any way, keeps the surface nice and toast and is too bulky to have a type cover folded back when in tablet mode.

my point is every one can have one within hour's, do what ever modifications they would ever want and all for a fraction of the price ALL AT THERE DESK.

godson594

this is not what every one needs. the main reason i want to do this on a 3d printer is so every one can have what they want. some need ruggedness ,others might want something that will fit in there sleeve while in transport and others want good protection with peace of mind that there device wont cook itself to death. it is also marginally cheaper that what there making off of the limited choicest that are currently being offered. the incipio case doesn't hold the stylus in any way, keeps the surface nice and toast and is too bulky to have a type cover folded back when in tablet mode.

my point is every one can have one within hour's, do what ever modifications they would ever want and all for a fraction of the price ALL AT THERE DESK.

3d printing isn't cheap unfortunately

godson594

Very different product. The only thing they have in common is the word case. Lol.

This guy wants to make a BUMPER (covering the sides and edges), while the Incipio case is a full on case covering EVERYTHING ergo keeping the heat inside the device.

Your right - thats what I get for replying when I'm half asleep :)

A bumper would be cool, I have designed some for some action cameras before.