What's new

Surface Pro Q&A Power and more.

leeshor

If you see something that will help answer other users general questions ask in the open forum that it be posted here.

Power Question
1. If I have the SP3 in regular kickstand mode with Type cover attached, and then just decide I'm done and lay the SP3 down flat on the keyboard and fold the kickstand back down, what happens? On my Thinkpad, this of course would be the same thing as simply closing the lid, which would put the laptop to sleep. Is this the same behavior on the SP3, when the keyboard comes in contact with the screen, it puts it to sleep?

2. What happens when I press the power button? I know the screen goes off, but is it shutting down, or sleeping?

3. Several of you guys have mentioned in the course of troubleshooting to do power button+ volume button maneuver. What is the significance of that? If I go to power> Shut Down, is the SP3 not truly shutting down?

Answer
The default behavior for the power button is to put the SP3 into S0iX Connected Standby, also if you close the lid it will enter S0iX Connected Standby. Using the On Screen Power Button to Shutdown will in fact bring you to S5 Power State (Power Off).

Volume Rocker Down+Power Button is a way of bringing a Connected Standby Machine from a deep sleep (haven't needed to use it on the SP3)

Volume Rocker Up+Power Button brings you into the UEFI Menu but is also allows for a Hard Reset (clearing many hiccups).

Question: Where is the Voice Input option?
See this thread.

Question: How do I use OneNote?
See this thread.

Booting from a USB drive
Step 1: Attach a bootable USB device to the USB port.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-down button.
Step 3: Press and release the power button.
Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
Surface will start the software on your USB device.
(credit ScottyS)

How do I free up disk space on a Surface Pro?
(Compliments if GreyFox7)

Move Libraries to a second drive (sd card)
Move your libraries to a second drive or partition

Change Default save locations
Customize a library

Redirect Downloads folder
Redirect a folder to a new location - Windows Help

Change Default Download location
Download files from the web - Windows Help

Remove Unwanted Programs
Swipe from right, Settings, Change PC Settings, search and apps, app sizes
Select and uninstall any you done want

Run Disk Cleanup

Open Explorer on the Desktop, Touch and hold C Drive, Properties, Disk Cleanup button on the General Tab. After it opens Use the Cleanup System Files button. Not all options will be selected by default but you can check them to cleanup more space.

For more Surface Pro tips and tricks see the link in my signature.

Last edited: