What's new

Surface Pro Restarts after Sleep?

ymzkala

I have looked online and have seen that this is a common issue with Windows 7, but I can't find this issue reported for Windows 8 which is what I am running.

Basically, when I put my surface to sleep (press the button) and wake it up it restarts and I lose all of my open programs. I looked at my event log and it says there is a critical event with ID 41 from Kernel-Power. I think somehow the power was unavailable in between the sleep mode and waking it up, or so I've read online.

How do I fix this? I keep having to re-open my documents in recovery mode and its really annoying.

barlow00

Hi,

I've heard there are some problems with regards the power settings for the WIFI adaptor, which may be causing your reset issues...

....if you search for 'sleep' on the settings tab, and select the 'change when the computer sleeps' option, this will take you to the power plan settings menu. Select 'Change advanced Power settings' and find 'Wireless Power adaptor' settings.

Ensure both battery and plugged in options are set to 'Maximum Performance'.

Does this help at all?????

machistmo

I have looked online and have seen that this is a common issue with Windows 7, but I can't find this issue reported for Windows 8 which is what I am running.

Basically, when I put my surface to sleep (press the button) and wake it up it restarts and I lose all of my open programs. I looked at my event log and it says there is a critical event with ID 41 from Kernel-Power. I think somehow the power was unavailable in between the sleep mode and waking it up, or so I've read online.

How do I fix this? I keep having to re-open my documents in recovery mode and its really annoying.

Surface Pro? Do you have anything installed on the desktop side relating to VPN clients or anything else that might interact with the Connected Stanby functions? I had this same problem with my SP and FortiClient Version 4.anything. 5 resolved the issue. The kernel error you are getting, have you install BlueScreen Viewer from NirSoft to check on them? Ill bet its a driver that doesnt speak the proper language for the new 'sleep mode'.

barlow00

Surface Pro? Do you have anything installed on the desktop side relating to VPN clients or anything else that might interact with the Connected Stanby functions? I had this same problem with my SP and FortiClient Version 4.anything. 5 resolved the issue. The kernel error you are getting, have you install BlueScreen Viewer from NirSoft to check on them? Ill bet its a driver that doesnt speak the proper language for the new 'sleep mode'.

I am also now experiencing the same issue (ID41 Kernel-Power error). I am getting BSOD's at least twice a day.

After reading you post Machistmo, I believe it is ReadyNASRemote that is causing my problems....this is the client Netgear provide for remotely connecting to their home ReadyNAS servers.

It's a real headache as I need to connect to my NAS when I'm away from home, so I can't live without it on my system.

machistmo

Is there an updated driver for it? Often times they dont update the older systems but only the most recent models. I had a NAS that was rendered useless because I could not install the management tools or client in Windows7. Seagate device in that case.

barlow00

Is there an updated driver for it? Often times they dont update the older systems but only the most recent models. I had a NAS that was rendered useless because I could not install the management tools or client in Windows7. Seagate device in that case.

It's the ReadyNAS 102 V2 I am using which is the current model. The ReadyNAS Remote software I downloaded is specific to Windows 8, and they just updated it again last week so I have updated it on my system and I think this then installs the leaf adaptor driver, but the trouble still persists.

I hate it when a problem can't be isolated and identified....I bought a Dell XPS17 a couple of years ago and 5 months in was getting BSOD's every day. I replaced almost every component, including 2x M4 SSD's and it turns out it was one of the DDR3 memory sticks (it wasn't faulty but something to do with the timing as it was a different brand to the other sticks. Dell even came out and replaced my motherboard (whoops!!!!) before I isolated it.

Just wish I could sort my Pro out now. Love this machine but I can't stand it when something doesn't work right!

barlow00

Check out bluescreen viewer from Nirsoft, that should allow you to make sense of the minidumps in the folder with the same name.

Help Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death with BlueScreenView

I've been using Bluescreen Viewer for the last 7 days, but I am not technically minded enough to understand what the files are saying. However, in every instance of BSOD, it's caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe at address 5a440 (DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL).

When you mentioned VPN clients in your previous posting it occurred to me that is has to be the NAS software....although this is process of elimination as I am on my 9th install since I got this machine 3 weeks ago!!!

OP
Y

ymzkala

I was having this problem as soon as I bought the device, so I had no extra software on it. I called MS support and they had me do this thing through the command prompt, some type of error checking and verification.... I can't recall the command but I haven't had the restart issue since and have tried to replicate the issue repeatedly. It seems that did the trick. I will post here once I remember what the command was.

machistmo

I was having this problem as soon as I bought the device, so I had no extra software on it. I called MS support and they had me do this thing through the command prompt, some type of error checking and verification.... I can't recall the command but I haven't had the restart issue since and have tried to replicate the issue repeatedly. It seems that did the trick. I will post here once I remember what the command was.
sfc /scannow?