What's new

Surface Pro Screen Protector - official, tempered glass

OP
L

Liam2349

I don't like this at all. A first party screen protector makes me wonder why didn't they just build a better screen instead of selling an accessory. It's like they're saying we know are screens aren't durable enough..

Not at all - it's saying that Microsoft recognizes the demand for it. I use a Note 3, which has Gorilla Glass 2 or 3, and I still use a tempered glass screen protector. Why? Because Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

B

B'midbar

Not at all - it's saying that Microsoft recognizes the demand for it. I use a Note 3, which has Gorilla Glass 2 or 3, and I still use a tempered glass screen protector. Why? Because Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

True, but what else are you going to be touching the screen with besides your finger(s) or the stylus? I have had dozens of notebooks in the past twenty-three years and have always kept the screen flawless. If taken care of properly, shouldn't be a problem. For touch screens I just carry around a small, good chamois and from time to time I wipe the fingerprint smudges off the screen.

bluegrass

True, but what else are you going to be touching the screen with besides your finger(s) or the stylus? I have had dozens of notebooks in the past twenty-three years and have always kept the screen flawless. If taken care of properly, shouldn't be a problem. For touch screens I just carry around a small, good chamois and from time to time I wipe the fingerprint smudges off the screen.

Welcome to the forum.

Exactly. I would have to drop something on it to scratch it. I carry a micro fiber cloth in my Surface bag and of course I have the keyboard cover attached for sure when it's in my bag. Frankly I've never seen a scratched screen on any of the laptops I've owned or serviced. Lots of smudges and dirt though.

OP
L

Liam2349

People don't intentionally scratch screens. I have a screen protector on my phone because it's in my pocket with any coins I accumulate through the day. I don't use one on my SP3 because the ones I've tried were a nightmare to fit.

ipaq_101

Interesting. I've been using the illumishield on my SP3 for a couple weeks and have not seen any wear on my pen. Now I don't take a huge amount of notes, maybe 2 or 3 one hr meetings worth a day but I'm not seeing any wear that I can tell.

I take tons of notes twice a week for 3 hours and then numerous other notes when reading, the nib wear was easy to see. Before school I used the pen casually and I never noticed it.

ipaq_101

People don't intentionally scratch screens. I have a screen protector on my phone because it's in my pocket with any coins I accumulate through the day. I don't use one on my SP3 because the ones I've tried were a nightmare to fit.

I had it installed for me, no way would I try to do it myself for this large a screen.

Dblkk

I take tons of notes twice a week for 3 hours and then numerous other notes when reading, the nib wear was easy to see. Before school I used the pen casually and I never noticed it.
Ive had mine for a little over a month, zaag glass shield on mine as well. I'm on my second shipment of 3x pen nibs from Microsoft. The glass protector definitely wears it quicker than just glass screen. But I write on mine and use the pen for 4-6 hours a day.

ipaq_101

To be honest they should sell them in a 10 pack for $3.99, it's absurd the amount of money they are spending on shipping 3 nibs at a time as a warranty exchange.

Dblkk

To be honest they should sell them in a 10 pack for $3.99, it's absurd the amount of money they are spending on shipping 3 nibs at a time as a warranty exchange.
I asked this last time if she could ship 2x packs. which was a no. but they're shipped FedEx next day, so that's sweet.

but yes, totally agree. they should also include a 3 pack with the pen. All my wacaam pens come with a whole kit of 10-15 nibs, including a 3 pack at the very least should be a given. Especially since its not a universal design. And not availabl