What's new

Surface Pro sound help request

sagra

I really hope someone can help me. I have spent a few frustrating days trying to solve a problem with my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 audio. I am using Windows 10 version 20H2 0S Build 19042.746. The sound volume of my surface Pro is quite low, even over Bluetooth.

There have been times when it was quite loud which is what I need sometimes, but now no matter what I adjust or change, the sound is low and hard to hear from 5 feet away. I tried installing a few different Realtek drivers suggested in forums but that did not help.

Even after installing the last driver, for a period the sound was satisfyingly loud, but that was for a short time only. Also in the Speaker Properties the Enhancement tab is missing (it was present earlier). In the Realtek HDA Properties the current Realtek driver is dated August 5, 2016 version 6.0.1.7895. The Update Driver, Rollback Driver, Disable Device, Uninstall Device buttons are now all grayed out too.

In addition Windows shows no Sound Troubleshooters available or even any Troubleshooters at all. In the Settings Troubleshoot window it says “no recommended troubleshooters right now”.

Thank you in advance for any help someone can offer. Bob

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob ( @sagra )

It sure seems like you need a Windows Reset, option "keep my files". Or even a complete re-install. OneDrive has a copy of your files, if you have been using it.

Was the audio on your Surface Pro 4 ever correct since you've owned it?

OP
S

sagra

Hello. Thank you for your response. Yes, as I said, at times it has been plenty loud, including when I bought it (I bought it secondhand but it looks like it was never used). Actually I can I am fine with completely erasing everything. I only have a few programs and not too many files on drive C. I have only owned it for a matter of weeks. A few days ago it completely lost the right click function on the touchpad of the keyboard. Also the touchpad acts very erratic. Sometimes working fine, but half the time not being able to control the cursor. Can you kindly point me to a page that tells how to reinstall windows 10? hopefully it’s an easy process. Thank you in advance. Bob

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Bob

Try this first:

Settings, Update & Security, Reset This PC, Remove Everything

Let us know