What's new

Surface Pro Stopped Vibrating Upon Windows Button Touch

jimijustice4

Hey there fellow Surface owners/enthusiasts. I've had my Surface since 2/14 and been loving it, awesome piece of hardware if its what you're looking for. However, I've run into a little problem which started the yesterday morning and of course Microsoft support was little to no help with the problem. I'm just curious to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Starting yesterday morning whenever I hit the Windows button on the tablet it doesn't vibrate anymore. I've installed some programs recently such as WinRAR, a game, some patches, etc. but nothing that MS support thought would cause the problem. I found out from the tech guy which hardware driver controls the vibrating and I uninstalled it, rebooted the computer hoping that would fix the problem or any kind of corrupt driver there might be. The driver reinstalled but the vibrate still doesn't work.

Of course, Microsoft is suggesting a refresh (that would be my 2nd within 1 month of owning the device... come on!) and I would rather not if I don't have to. Also, I'm concerned that if the reinstall of the device driver didn't work then that might mean the motor that controls the vibrating is shot. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not getting that feedback when pressing that button is going to take me a while to adjust, and the device is brand new!

Thanks for all your help,
Jimmy

bosamar

I owned my RT for about six weeks before I realized the Windows button vibrated. Maybe it didn't vibrate at first and maybe it decided to start doing so on the day I noticed it. I hardly notice it anymore. I'd hang tight until the next firmware update and see if that fixes it.

OP
J

jimijustice4

That's what I was thinking. I installed all Windows updates hoping that might trigger something. I love my Surface but I cringed when the tech guy suggested I refresh for the 2nd time in a month.

machistmo

Mine Still pzztings.

Mine Still Vibrates... ?! Not sure if that's good or bad but after the updates... Still pzzzting. ;)

OP
J

jimijustice4

Mine Still Vibrates... ?! Not sure if that's good or bad but after the updates... Still pzzzting. ;)

Its working the way it was intended, I'd say that's pretty well! I love my Surface Pro, but its only been a month and I've had multiple problems already. Still, not enough to drag me away from it though.

geckoking

Hey there fellow Surface owners/enthusiasts. I've had my Surface since 2/14 and been loving it, awesome piece of hardware if its what you're looking for. However, I've run into a little problem which started the yesterday morning and of course Microsoft support was little to no help with the problem. I'm just curious to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Starting yesterday morning whenever I hit the Windows button on the tablet it doesn't vibrate anymore. I've installed some programs recently such as WinRAR, a game, some patches, etc. but nothing that MS support thought would cause the problem. I found out from the tech guy which hardware driver controls the vibrating and I uninstalled it, rebooted the computer hoping that would fix the problem or any kind of corrupt driver there might be. The driver reinstalled but the vibrate still doesn't work.

Of course, Microsoft is suggesting a refresh (that would be my 2nd within 1 month of owning the device... come on!) and I would rather not if I don't have to. Also, I'm concerned that if the reinstall of the device driver didn't work then that might mean the motor that controls the vibrating is shot. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not getting that feedback when pressing that button is going to take me a while to adjust, and the device is brand new!

Thanks for all your help,
Jimmy

I have the same problem, but I don't mind it. I guess the firmware update had something to do with it.

OP
J

jimijustice4

Yeah, I like getting that feedback since its touch. The Same reason I got the Type Cover Instead of the touch cover. I guess Just to hope next firmware update will fix it for those unfortunate.

Nemesis296

Just throwing an idea out, could it be linked to the volume control? I'll try running some tests later, but I think I've seen instances where it doesn't work, and where it does. It might only produce the haptic feedback if the volume is turned on?

OP
J

jimijustice4

Just throwing an idea out, could it be linked to the volume control? I'll try running some tests later, but I think I've seen instances where it doesn't work, and where it does. It might only produce the haptic feedback if the volume is turned on?

Well tech support did tell me that those two features are categorized together under ACPI features. But the volume has been on and active the whole time during this. When I uninstalled the driver the first time, the tech guy warned that the volume, wifi, and a few other things could be affected too, but they weren't and the uninstall didn't fix the problem.

Ruffles

I just tested mine and I get the feedback regardless of the volume being muted or just turned down to 0.