What's new

Surface Pro, Surface Go, or another tablet for note taking?

elee532

I am looking for a tablet to complement a Surface Book version 1. Main use will be OneNote for taking handwritten notes, web browsing, email, and some light Word & Excel.

My main priority:

#1 ... must be stable and quick to turn on and get to work. Nothing more frustrating to me than sitting down in a meeting and having to wait 30 seconds or more for my tablet to “wake up” or an app to launch and be ready to take notes!

Other preferences (in order of importance):
  • Good pen writing experience for notetaking.
  • Battery can last a full workday (realistically, 4 to 5 hours of actual use)
  • Prefer larger screen size (11/12"), but also not too heavy or unwieldy.
  • Keyboard that is fast to attach/detach.
  • Quiet (or no) fan.
  • Ability to use my existing Surface Pen (and other Surface accessories)
Surface Pro?
Surface Go?
Galaxy2?
Something else?

Thanks!!

OP
E

elee532

Thanks. It does seem like the Go might be the right option for me. I do wish the screen was a tiny bit larger... maybe 11”, but I suspect it is going to feel signifantly better for working with in a meeting than the Pro.

Any opinions on the 4gb/eMMC vs 8gb SSD? I’ve seen some mixed opinions about whether or not there is noticeable performance difference with the base model. Any thoughts or experience?

Lastly, any suggestions on a nice looking executive style portfolio that also could carry business cards, pens, maybe even a small pad of paper just in case?

OP
E

elee532

Thanks!

This is the article that got me thinking the base model might meet my needs:
Microsoft Surface Go with 64GB eMMC storage – How much slower is the $399 model?

This is the kind of portfolio I was hoping to find for the Go:

bsxfcb
Google Image Result for https://images.prod.meredith.com/product/b472eb696e0b1d7a256920444777fcc9/62d4a9e03ad1c18c93c43898f031865c9242e682c8230ccd011a0e9d112a5a76/l/ipad-pro-folio-case-design-leather-organizer-portfolio-for-12-9-inch-ipad-pro

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I bought 2 of the 64GB versions for a couple of high school kids in my life and it works well for them... As far as that style of portfolio see if the brand has one for the smaller iPad and it should work...

OP
E

elee532

Cool. Thanks. I see a Surface Pro m3 with keyboard on Black Friday sale for $599. Awfully tempting at that price. But, the size of the Go does seem like it might lend itself better to my intended usage. Hmm... decisions. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. Thanks. I see a Surface Pro m3 with keyboard on Black Friday sale for $599. Awfully tempting at that price. But, the size of the Go does seem like it might lend itself better to my intended usage. Hmm... decisions. :)
I grabbed a Pro 6 this week and it felt too big and unwieldy compared to the Go...

OP
E

elee532

Thanks for sharing! I am leaning towards the Go. Gonna try and get to Best Buy and handle them both soon.

BTW, as an aside, I am disappointed my Surfac3 Book v1 hasn’t worked well for me as a tablet. First, for some reason, it takes 3+ minutes after docking/undocking before it’s usable again. Drives me crazy! One of these days I need to try a fresh Windows install. Second, for some reason, my SB battery in tablet mode doesn’t seem last more than 30 minutes. Frustrating!

Last edited:

jrioux

Gonna try and get to Best Buy and handle them both soon.

Good idea. I have both an SP3 and S3. The S3 is much easier to use as a tablet and I don't usually miss the larger screen. The Go should be more convenient, though a little smaller.

For your stated uses, the 4GB should be adequate.

bondr007

Here is a tablet portfolio at Amazon. Looks like the one in your link. Says it fits tablets up to 9.5"x12.5"

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Business-Leather-Portfolio-Microsoft/dp/B019HNEMNG

By the way, I have the Surface Pro 5 2017 model(Listed in my signature). I am a Real Estate Broker, and it fits all my needs for what I do with it, which is very similar to your list of requirements. I like the extra screen real estate(no pun intended:)). I would go to Best Buy and put my hands on both of them, putting them side by side to give you a better idea of what size might better fit your needs. I do a lot of note taking, drawing, filling out contracts, and presenting properties to clients. All those things would be less convenient and cramped for me on a 10 inch screen. It all comes down to personal preference and what fits your needs the most.

Last edited: