What's new

Surface Pro Type Cover II problem

Stone17

I sold my Black Friday special Surface RT last week and upgrade to the Surface Pro 128GB. I sold my Surface RT 32GB for $225.
I got the Surface Pro at Best Buy for $650 with tax.

I keep my Type Cover II and it work on the PRO but sometimes it stop working. I got all the latest updates.

The FN is enable all the time. How can I turn that off?

If I slide my finger from right to left on the touch pad it bring up the menu on the right side. Is that normal?

Is anyone else having problem.

Last edited:
Yes swiping from the right is supposed to do that (you can turn it off in settings). Swiping from the left brings up the applications bar.

Don't expect this feature to work consistently though, it will just stop working for no reason and reattaching the cover is the only known (to me) solution.

Nackers

Hi, Ive been having the same trouble with a my touch cover 1. is this a common thing or should i get a replacement.Thanks Heaps

phubai

Hi, Ive been having the same trouble with a my touch cover 1. is this a common thing or should i get a replacement.Thanks Heaps

New here and to the Surface Pro but it is happening to me as well and apparently quite common. Detach-reattach is the temporary cure it appears and I have not found a permanent solution.

Wafflcopterz

The root of your problem is the Type Cover 2's feature to turn off key registration when flipped behind the surface but still attached. Depending on how you wake it up, and what position the type cover is in, Windows 8.1 and the type cover can get confused whether you want the keys to register or not, so I'm guessing it defaults to "off" to make sure you don't mess up existing work. Just detach and reattach to fix.

As for the FN keys, I believe FN + Caps Lock changes it so FN is not always on. FN + Caps lock, then your F keys will be F1, F2, F3, etc. and you need to hold down FN to change Brightness etc.

drolem

Ive been having the same trouble with a my touch cover 1. is this a common thing or should i get a replacement.
If the issue can be solved with detach/re-attach, then it's most likely an issue with the Surface Pro, so exchanging the cover probably won't make much of a difference.

DNP

If the issue can be solved with detach/re-attach, then it's most likely an issue with the Surface Pro, so exchanging the cover probably won't make much of a difference.

My Type Cover 2 ALWAYS needs to be detached/reattached and after about 100th time it really started to become a PITA. So I returned the first one, but soon realized there's a bug somewhere when I could replicate the same issue on other SP2's. Unfortunately, the keyboard is mandatory for me...so I'll be dealing with this until MS issues a "fix". It's seems like the connectivity issues with the keyboards are pretty well documented; so hopefully a remedy will be on the radar (but then again what do you really expect for an accessory that ONLY costs $130).

phubai

I would agree, but strangely, after exchanging my Touch Cover for a Type Cover 2, I have not had this problem occur at all. I've only had the TC2 for one day, so I'll certainly monitor it but wanted to mention that it may be possible there was a defect, factory or user caused, that was not enabling a good contact with the Surface Pro (guessing here lol). So far, I'm pleased the Type 2 cover (excepting the trackpad, and especially scrolling as it will sometimes just refuse to scroll. Admittedly I'm spoiled by my MacBook Pro's).

Bob