What's new

Surface Pro Vs Laptop

JamiePattison

I was looking into Surface Pro and a laptop and wondered what are the differences between the two products? What are the dis/advantage for each product?

Am i correct in stating the Surface Pro is for light usage (browse web, emails, etc) where a laptop could be for more heavier usage (play some games, run heavy full fledge programs i.e. Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, SQL Express free edition etc)?

Thanks

N.G.

It runs heavy apps (with the exception of some gaming apparently), the issues are form factor. Is the screen large enough, can you use the app without a keyboard and mouse, how do you get it stable on your lap with the keyboard attached, are you risking it with the weight and poor balance to the rear of the lap configuration on the prop. People like the Manvex and Moko Rotary covers for this. Read the posts. I use a Prop n'Go slim lap desk in the tablet mode and like it a lot. Haven't gotten a solution to the laptop config yet, but leaning toward Manvex. Hate the wedge mouse, going to replace it with the new Bluetooth MS mouse coming out in a few days.

tonyz3

For me it replaced my company lap top and my personal desktop. I added two external monitors and it handles everything I throw at it.

mitchellvii

thanks guys.

@mitchevii - yes

Where you get the impression the Surface Pro is for lite usage only? I don't think that has been posted ever anywhere. SP is a full blow i5 ultrabook with 4 gigs ram and an HD 4000 gpu. It's more powerful than most desktops.

Russ

I was looking into Surface Pro and a laptop

Jamie --

Welcome to the forum.

The Surface Pro was a laptop replacement for me and for my Ladyfriend. It is now her main travel computer, and I am giving my laptop to my daughter. Unless you are looking at very high-end, luggable laptops, you are better off with the Pro. As Mitchell said, it is more powerful than many desktops, and has served as a desktop replacement for several people here, with the attachment of some external accessories. In fact, my next project when Ladyfriend returns from her current trip is to set up her home office so that the Pro replaces her desktop computer there.

All that, with the convenience of a tablet makes the Pro hard to beat.

Regards,
Russ

Hstakz

Where you get the impression the Surface Pro is for lite usage only? I don't think that has been posted ever anywhere. SP is a full blow i5 ultrabook with 4 gigs ram and an HD 4000 gpu. It's more powerful than most desktops.

It might well be full windows 8, core i5 but that doesn't mean it's powerful enough for heavy programs. The core i5 that comes with the SP is a mobile version which doesn't clock higher than say 2.2 GHZ and the integrated Intel hd 4000 graphics is nowhere near enough powerful for gaming or even heavy video editing for gaming. Just saying..

pallentx

Your only limit will be the size of the screen. Its ideal for people who want something ultra-portable when they are out, yet you can dock it at a desk and its a full-powered computer.

Nuspieds

Your only limit will be the size of the screen. Its ideal for people who want something ultra-portable when they are out, yet you can dock it at a desk and its a full-powered computer.
That accurately represents my use case.

All my apps that I used to run on my full-sized laptop run perfectly fine on my SP.

EuroKnuter

For me it's a tablet in bed / on the couch, a laptop on the couch and in meetings, and a desktop downstairs when I plug in my USB 3.0 hub and peripherals. I run eclipse (java), tomcat, and SVN when developing, the full office 2013 suite regularly, and, most impressive, my DAW (Pro Tools 9.x, w/ Komplete 8 and Rig Kontrol for my guitar). This bad boy doesn't flinch. I have found a device that is all things for me in all places at all times. And as the hardware improves, it will just get better and better.