What's new

Surface Pro wakes in bag

null4end

Is anyone else's Surface Pro waking up while it is in your bag? I am using the type cover and I've opened my bag twice to find a warm tablet and the screen on.

I fixed it by changing the "When I close the lid" setting to "Do nothing" but I would really prefer to keep it working the way it was designed.

bosamar

I've got a Type Cover too. If the cover is opened ~1/2 inch the screen will come on. My Incipio sleeve keeps it snuggly shut when in a bag. Your problem seems to be that there is too much room for the cover to swing open. Maybe v2 will have magnets to hold the cover in place. What are your Sleep settings?

J515OP

Super Moderator
The Pro shouldn't have (at least as is being discussed in other threads in this forum http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/3499-touch-keyboard-does-nt-work.html) the ability to wake or sleep (one or both?) by closing the cover. The laptop If you are simply closing the cover and slipping it into your bag you never put it to sleep and that is why it is still on. If the keys are getting pressed that could keep it from timing out and going to sleep. To put the Pro to sleep you will either have to wait for it to go to sleep, choose sleep from the power menu or press the power button before closing the keyboard and putting it in the bag. It seems there is something else going on with your Surface causing this behavior that needs to be tracked down.

zhenya

According to the Surface Getting Started Guide closing the cover on the Pro will cause it to go to sleep, but you must press the power button or a key on the keyboard to wake it up. This is also the behavior that mine is exhibiting.

J515OP

Super Moderator
According to the Surface Getting Started Guide closing the cover on the Pro will cause it to go to sleep, but you must press the power button or a key on the keyboard to wake it up. This is also the behavior that mine is exhibiting.

Sounds like the problem is that the cover is coming open and the keys are getting pressed after that then. Like bosamar said maybe a sleeve or tighter pack would help. It might be possible to insert the Surface 180 degrees from the way you are currently doing it too (if spine was down rotate it up or visa versa). You could also use bands, velcro or magnets to make a DIY fastening solution to keep the cover from flopping open. None may be ideal but since the cover doesn't contain any type of fastener these might be options.

zhenya

Yes, I agree that something is probably triggering it.

Mine is not doing this, I meant that my Surface works as described in the manual.

callen525

I had a similar problem with my Surface Pro. I had it inside a sleeve in my backpack with the cover closed, and came home to find it very warm and the battery nearly drained. I found this useful website which has a number of troubleshooting steps for this kind of issue:
How to prevent your PC from waking up in sleep mode - PC Advisor
After reviewing the entries in the Event Viewer, I found that about every 3-5 minutes, my Surface Pro was waking up with "Wake Source: Device -USB Root Hub." As I went through the Device Manager, for the USB Root Hub entries, under the Power Management tab the "allow this device to wake the computer" was grayed out. However, I figured this entry could be secondary to some other event on another device, perhaps the keyboard, trackpad, etc. as has been suggested in other posts. What I decided to then do was to go through EVERY device in the Device Manager, check the Power Management Tab, and whenever available, uncheck the box for "allow this device to wake the computer." For example I did this for the type cover, for the mouse, etc. This may sound tedious but it just took about 5 min.
With these settings modifications, the only way to wake up the Surface Pro is 1) Press the power button briefly or 2) Press the Windows button on the screen. I think this is pretty easy and much more reliable than never knowing if your Surface Pro will wake up spontaneously.

Since then, my problem seems to have been solved. In my power options, I do have enabled the settings to sleep when I close the cover. This works properly, so when I want to put the Surface Pro in my bag, I just close the cover. But now when I take the Surface Pro out of the bag, it is off as expected. If I open the cover, it stays off, unless I press the power button on the top or the windows key on the screen. If I press anything else (keystrokes, touchpad, etc.), then the Surface Pro does not wake up.

Last edited:
Having this issue too, with a Touch Cover. I'm killing my battery because of how hot the Pro gets in my bag. Pretty frustrating.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Having this issue too, with a Touch Cover. I'm killing my battery because of how hot the Pro gets in my bag. Pretty frustrating.

The most reliable method to get around this is to power off, not sleep when putting the Surface in a bag. This conserves the most power while it is not being used and also prevents accidental turn ons and heat ups.

Boot is about 8 seconds, watch from 34 seconds to 44 seconds to see the boot up. Resume is about 7 seconds, watch from 1:25 to 1:33. So you aren't really losing anything in time to get going again but you are saving battery and risk of accidental wake. Sleep is probably better if you are going on and of over a short period of time though, say walking from one room to another vs. putting into a bag.

[video=youtube;npkvqLMkWz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npkvqLMkWz4[/video]

Codevine

My notebook (not a Surface Pro, but Win8) also wakes up sometimes even if it's closed. A friend of mine also noticed this on his desktop (!) computer. Maybe something wrong with Windows 8? There were other people writing in different forums about noticing this. =/

Hibernation mode (Suspend to disk) works however, but it takes some time bootin' it up (especially since my notebook has no SSD).

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes there is something wrong with Windows 8 and there have been several updates on the issue. There are a few threads where the problem is discussed but it depends on which update you have. The solution for one update is to disable the wake setting for the wifi. For another update it is to restore the wake setting otherwise wifi doesn't work. Definitely some tail chasing associated with this one.

Maybe time to update to an SSD or at least a hybrid drive :)