What's new

Surface pro WAY under appreciated

zhenya

I'm aware of all of the other options out there. I'm even less convinced in a Yoga than the Surface. Anything bigger than this just doesn't pass as a usable tablet.

Paul Thurrot just yesterday wrote that despite his efforts to use the Surface as his only computer, for his upcoming trip to Mexico he's going to have to bring his usual ultrabook.

That's my point; for other than a small niche of people, the Pro is too compromised to offer a compelling experience as either a laptop or a tablet.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/going-pro-when-push-comes-shove

This is why I'm now leaning towards an Atom device. I do want a more full-featured tablet than an iPad. But I also want really light weight and battery life I don't have to think about.

I have switched to doing my afternoon work on the Pro here at the office, and it will be lucky if the battery makes it the 4 hours I spend here after lunch, using the power saving plan and very light usage.

dlacaba

I think you should take a look at Lenovo's Helix device which should be coming out next month. I had thought of waiting for the Helix instead of the Pro, but I couldn't justify the price.

If that device isn't for you, I don't think there's anything out there that exists that could satisfy what you're looking for.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
A smaller Yoga is coming out later this year and the Helix looks very nice.

I think you are misrepresenting Paul Thurrot. First he is taking a back up not because he can't get done what he needs to do on the Surface Pro but because he is "hedging his bets." We will have to see if there is a follow up article and if he really needed to bring the back up at all. Second, he says he wants a 15" screen and bigger keyboard for typing. In that case I guess he doesn't want a Surface Pro.

It has nothing to do with the Pro's capabilities or compromises. It is a small device, that isn't a compromise. He could easily bring a larger keyboard and pico projector instead of a 15" laptop. If it is too small it isn't for him. He even notes this won't be a problem for other users. That is who the device is for then.

It sounds like your ideal situation is going to be found in another device. The Pro doesn't work for you but you have tried it and have it as a point of reference if that is ever the type of device you need.

Last edited:

zhenya

I think you should take a look at Lenovo's Helix device which should be coming out next month. I had thought of waiting for the Helix instead of the Pro, but I couldn't justify the price.

The Helix looks promising and I'd like to try one. It's probably out of the budget for the time being though.

A smaller Yoga is coming out later this year and the Helix looks very nice.

I think you are misrepresenting Paul Thurrot. First he is taking a back up not because he can't get done what he needs to do on the Surface Pro but because he is "hedging his bets." We will have to see if there is a follow up article and he he really needed to bring the back up at all. Second, he says he wants a 15" screen and bigger keyboard for typing. In that case I guess he doesn't want a Surface Pro.

It has nothing to do with the Pro's capabilities or compromises. It is a small device that isn't a compromise. He could easily bring a larger keyboard and pico projector instead of a 15" laptop. If it is too small it isn't for him. He even notes this won't be a problem for other users. That who who the device is for then.

It sounds like your ideal situation is going to be found in another device. The Pro doesn't work for you but you have tried it and have it as a point of reference if that is ever the type of device you need.

I don't feel like that was a misrepresentation; if he had purchased a new ultrabook, he would not be hedging his bets. Hence, it's an admission regarding the level of compromise this device is over a regular ultrabook.

Again, I did not intend for a device like this to be a complete laptop replacement, rather I am trying to learn about where a device like this fits into a workflow. I said other places when it was first announced that the primary difficulty of ever fully merging a laptop and a tablet is one of size; 10" or so is as big as a tablet can comfortably be and ~11-13" is about as small as a heavily used laptop can be. Working on the Surface for a couple of days now I stand by that assertion.

For now I still see a tablet as a better companion device than ones only device.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't feel like that was a misrepresentation; if he had purchased a new ultrabook, he would not be hedging his bets. Hence, it's an admission regarding the level of compromise this device is over a regular ultrabook.

I do think that is a misrepresentation. He did purchase a new ultrabook (the Surface Pro). What you are saying for Paul is "If he had bought a larger ultrabook he wouldn't have needed to hedge his bets by bringing a larger device." Paul is not admitting compromised device but saying that the device is too small for his poor eye sight and large hands with carpal tunnel. The same could be said about any device smaller that 15" in this case (e.g. MacAir 11"/13" or Vaio Z) and is not a reflection of a shortcoming or compromise of the the Surface Pro.

An example of a compromised device would be if Paul had brought a Nook HD+ and because he wasn't sure he could do everything he needed to do on it brought his ultrabook just in case.

JP

The Toy Man

Works perfect for me.

I have it sync'd to my main computer thru Office365/Skydrive.

I could easily make it my main/only computer.

Toy Man

Kiwibru

Nailed just about right. I would agree with much of the observations. The more I use it the better I like it!