What's new

Surface Pro will not work without charger attached, doesn't appear to charge

disambiguous1

I have a Surface Pro I bought just after they came out. Was working OK up until this. Now it will not work unless the charger is attached, and the battery does not appear to be charging. Last night when I plugged it in it showed 34%, same as this morning. I checked the charger and it is definitely plugged in. Also, when I unplugged the charger from the outlet, the screen immediately went blank and the unit turned off. When I pull the magnetically-attached plug out of the Surface, it turns off. Also, it sounds like a little electrical "pop" when I pull the plug out. The Surface will not turn back on again until the plug is put back in and juice is flowing.

Fortunately I got a service contract when I bought it from Best Buy, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered such problems and what their experience was.

Wayne Orwig

It's dead. I doubt anything can be done for it.
I would do what I could to back it up. After that, if it still shuts down when unplugged, restore the OS to factory, just to see if that helps (unlikely), and so you aren't sending in your data. then get a replacement.

Gerryb

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. I am still under MS warrenty and going to the local store this week. Did you get yours resolved/fixed?

davieboy

It's dead. I doubt anything can be done for it.
I would do what I could to back it up. After that, if it still shuts down when unplugged, restore the OS to factory, just to see if that helps (unlikely), and so you aren't sending in your data. then get a replacement.

I am having exact same issue with mine...only difference is that mine said 33%. I already reformatted and sent back. I highly suggest you do the same.

Gerryb

Mine always says the battery is at 100%. I went to the local MS store and he did a quick assessment on it. Says the battery appears to no making the connection to the computer but cant fix it there. I am off to the MS store tomorrow morning where they can (hopefully) deal with it. Still under warranty so one way or another it has to be resolved. I will update once I get details.

Gerryb

Well just gave back from the MS store. Turned out it was a hardware issue. Without even batting an eye they gave me a new Surface Pro 2, straight across, no hassle. Awesome.

davieboy

My retailer here in Dubai told me today that the fault is a board issue. They are attempting a repair. I am curious to see how that is going to turn out either way I have the device fully insured so if they don't fix it properly I will be getting a replacement device.