What's new

Surface Pro X limited software functionality due to the cpu make it not worth the hype

Turbo4AWD

I understand there is a lot of hype regarding the Surface Pro X, but not being an intel processor really limits its functionality. It feels like how Apple is trying to turn the iPad Pro into competition for the Surface Pro. The fact that you can plug in anrywhere iPad Pro via USB 3 into a Surface Pro and load up iTunes and complete a FULL BACKUP of the iPad on a Surface Pro clearly shows which device is more powerful.

Also the fact that Apple added "mouse" support and is trying to offer it as a PC instead of a consumption only tablet shows that Microsoft was right about the direction things are headed and Apple realized it so now they're adding real pro functionality to their Consumption only tablet. Microsoft making the Surface Pro X makes me feel like they're taking a step backwards just to appeal to a cash cow market that doesn't yet realize Apple is heading in Microsoft's direction and iPads will soon have multiple USB ports, a desktop processor and desktop browser, desktop apps, desktop like keyboards, desktop like flexibility, etc.

I don't feel that there is THAT LARGE of a crowd of people always on the go that they need LTE connectivity everywhere. That's just a small group of people. I think that maybe the Surface Pro X is REALLY for businesses like warehouses and hospitals etc. THAT would make more sense because they could use the device as a "dummy terminal" that has long battery life and can do basic things like fill out forms, play one video in a constant loop, etc. That way they don't have to waste a Core i3 or Core i5 processor device to run such a low power task.

Regardless, I applaud the Surface Pro 7's progress and shun all of the Tech News sites claiming that the Surface Pro 7 is just "...more of the same.." because in actuality, that is just how good of a device it is. It needs little cosmetic change at the moment and the NEXT iteration may include USB 4.0 which will hopefully allow for Thunderbolt, etc, that people have been waiting for with all the talk about "...everything should have USB-C ports nowadays..."

What do you fellow forum members think?

ScottyS

Of course you're right.
Apple is trying to position iPad Pro as a computer and not just a big screen iPhone (without a phone) and Microsoft even says the Pro X gives the smartphone feeling of being always on and connected (ie: LTE).
The head of IT at the hospital I work at was the one who turned me on to Surface Pro and he even bought a bunch for clerks to fill forms and have patients sign consent with the pen or finger. The Pro X would be even better for this.
I agree with "It needs little cosmetic change at the moment" " because in actuality, that is just how good of a device it is". Ice Lake with Iris graphics, DDR RAM and USB-C are good upgrades from the Pro 6, but I just upgraded from a Pro 3 to 7 and to me that's a big change.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Pro X on Pre-order and I'll tell you why...

I want (need) better battery life then anything Intel CPUs offer with instant on, I started using a Galaxy S Tab 6 for my note taker because of this, but I miss Windows 10 OneNote. All I need is Office and web app and UWP support.

If I require Win32 I can at least have that in a pinch.

Because I'm out and about LTE is more than just a convenience.

Reactions: WAR

BillJ

I have a Pro X on pre-order as well. I use web-based programs for work, and I am constantly moving about, closing my device and then starting back up in a new location. Instant-on, always-on is huge for me. The size and design of the Pro X are perfect for me. My only misgiving is that the key board cover requires some getting used to- the feel of typing seems a bit tepid, coming from HP laptop keyboards.

I've never tried LTE; I might try it when I travel to Europe with the Pro X.

BubbaUK

I wonder if the benefits of these Qualcomm processors are going to disappear. At the moment they have a clear adavantage of Intel in terms of efficiency & heat generation, instant-on etc. but I was reading that some of the overclocked 855+ devices need fan cooling. In an iteration or too, it may be that they have the exact same issues as Intel - heat dissipation, power consumption etc.

BillJ

Not to mention that Intel is working on a "hybrid" chip that could provide typical x86/64 bit functionality with a mobile processors's LTE functionality. We may not see this for another year or so, howver...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Pro X on Pre-order and I'll tell you why...

I want (need) better battery life then anything Intel CPUs offer with instant on, I started using a Galaxy S Tab 6 for my note taker because of this, but I miss Windows 10 OneNote. All I need is Office and web app and UWP support.

If I require Win32 I can at least have that in a pinch.

Because I'm out and about LTE is more than just a convenience.
Can you install a printer driver? USB-C dock with ethernet and display support?

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Just watched a couple of reviews of the Surface Pro X and it's going to have a VERY limited audience. The ARM chip has it VERY locked down to specific apps and other apps just won't load on the device. Definitely pass this device up and even if you're one of those always on the go workers, still think twice before getting the Surface Pro X in my opinion.

jonneymendoza2

Doesn't the pro 7 have some always on feature already?

Most pre windows laptops sleep mode is good as it comes on almost instantly on windows 10 for a while but the only issue is that while on sleep it uses battery still

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bob_Podbevsek

Just watched a couple of reviews of the Surface Pro X and it's going to have a VERY limited audience. The ARM chip has it VERY locked down to specific apps and other apps just won't load on the device. Definitely pass this device up and even if you're one of those always on the go workers, still think twice before getting the Surface Pro X in my opinion.

Setlle down there turbo. I got one and its world's different than the past efforts. Will it run Photoshop ? I guess not. But ive never done that or do I care. It's an iPad that can be a PC with always on instant connectivity. Nobody else has that. All good.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAR
OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Setlle down there turbo. I got one andots world's different than the past efforts. Will it run Photoshop ? I guess not. But ive never done that or do I care. It's an iPad that can be a PC with always on instant connectivity. Nobody else has that. All good.

Congrats on your purchase. Personally I do not feel the cost is justified when it is not a full blown pc, just an iPad trying to be a PC. Why should that cost just as much as a full blown Detachable PC that only needs a usb LTE dongle plugged in to complete the "always connected" package? I believe the last LTE Surface Pro was the Surface Pro 2017? THAT is the Surface Pro that users looking to have an always connected Detachable should purchase instead. This one does have a nice form factor, but not $1,500 worth of casing IMO.