What's new

Surface Pro X screen brightness issue

Geoff Arnold

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.

2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.

3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)

4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).

5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.
This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. I've also posted this to the reddit SPX.]

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seem to be a number of oddities with brightness on the Pro X, all we can hope for is an update from Microsoft to fix it. I just had to reboot to change brightness after the X hibernated and I was unable to change brightness at all. I guess the engineer working on this wasn't the brightest ... o_O

WAR

I've noticed my brightness varies while I'm using my device. I figured it will get fixed in an update.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears to be fixed in the latest Insider Build for H12020...
That's a bit surprising because these issues usually stem from firmware and driver problems.

I won't likely be installing that any time soon, I haven't even installed 1909 yet :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bit surprising because these issues usually stem from firmware and driver problems.

I won't likely be installing that any time soon, I haven't even installed 1909 yet :)
I've been running the latest build and it is working as expected and the GSOD video driver issue is also gone...