What's new

Surface Pro2 Works Apple 27 Cinema Display

mmoran27

The original surface pro did not work. New one works.
Haven't used it though just hooked up to see if display comes on.

CrippsCorner

That's good to know, although there is a section on the forum just for letting people know what devices work with a Surface :) maybe this post will get moved there... I really want to see Microsoft bringing out their own beautiful display we could extend to, but I don't think that's likely.

scfoster

Hooked up the Surface Pro 2 to my Apple LED Cinema display (non-thunderbolt). The "recommended" resolution is 2560x1440.

Works but the icons are really grainy. With Outlook 2013 open the whole application interface is not really sharp. Not at all what I was expecting. Perhaps its a driver issue?

I double checked the resolution with the MacBook Air using the same LED Cinema display; a LOT sharper.

GoodBytes

Hooked up the Surface Pro 2 to my Apple LED Cinema display (non-thunderbolt). The "recommended" resolution is 2560x1440.

Works but the icons are really grainy. With Outlook 2013 open the whole application interface is not really sharp. Not at all what I was expecting. Perhaps its a driver issue?

I double checked the resolution with the MacBook Air using the same LED Cinema display; a LOT sharper.
No. It is because Windows applies different DPI on each display, and scales like a picture, the content of the program that is on a display not matching the DPI setting of the primary display.

To fix this problem, set both displays to the same DPI level, or better yet, 100% DPI, which will also make non-high-DPI aware software look sharp as well.
Right-click on the desktop, and select "Screen resolution", then on "Make text and other items larger or smaller", and slide the bar to right most (smaller), which is 100% DPI.
Hit Apply and restart your system.