What's new

Surface randomly switching to standby

lahi

A SP2017 (core i5) randomly switches to standby while I am using it. Randomly means, between 30min and 3days of usage. Battery is full. "Automatic standby after N mins" is deactivated. "Monitor Off" is deactivated.
Its especially annoying since I am running this application Zwift on the tablet and a smart bike trainer is connected with an ANT+ dongle. When it enters standby I am out of the bike race.
The event log shows this error "Surface Serial Hub Driver invalid checksum received". The next event is that it's going immediatly to standby.
It also happend a couple of times without external hardware attached. I was using Power Point and the SP switched to standby.
Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how to solve it?

OP
L

lahi

Will give it a try. However, I doubt the Surface will enter standby because of mouse/touch inactivity. It was going to standby on several occasion while I was using the track pad. Additionally it's totally random. Sometimes it stays turned on for hours without any user interaction and on some occasions it was going to standby 5min after I turned it on (while I was actively using it).

^ It might be that the cover is somehow activating the magnetic sensor that tells the surface that the user closed the cover so Surface goes to standby

OP
L

lahi

Design flaw of the device? Btw. it happens with or without cover attached to tablet.
I am still wondering about the error message in the event log. Everytime it shuts down I get that error in the event log. This smells fishy.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the ANT+ driver is causing issues with the Surface USB internal Hub - it is receiving a bad request (checksum is a hash to verify the packets from the device to the CPU). It could be related to the recent Firmware Update to fix Spectre and Meltdown.

OP
L

lahi

It's a Garmin Ant+ Dongle. There is no specific driver for that device. I assume the driver is loaded by Windows.

USB ANT Stick™ | Garmin

I would buy a different Ant+ dongle if this is cause. However, since it happens quite seldom it's hard to track down.

Or, if there is any hack which prevents the standby I would be happy as well. This is error which always happens right before it's going to standby.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It's a Garmin Ant+ Dongle. There is no specific driver for that device. I assume the driver is loaded by Windows.

USB ANT Stick™ | Garmin

I would buy a different Ant+ dongle if this is cause. However, since it happens quite seldom it's hard to track down.

Or, if there is any hack which prevents the standby I would be happy as well. This is error which always happens right before it's going to standby.

That looks like a full bugcheck (BSOD) not standby - the Kernel Power event is more typical to a reboot...

OP
L

lahi

Any idea what can cause such a shutdown? How can I figure out which application or hardware is doing this?
As an additional information. All apps which were open at the moment of the shutdown resume after turning the tablet back on. This means that it's not a "real" BSOD. Windows still has time to suspend the active apps before it is going down.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea what can cause such a shutdown? How can I figure out which application or hardware is doing this?
As an additional information. All apps which were open at the moment of the shutdown resume after turning the tablet back on. This means that it's not a "real" BSOD. Windows still has time to suspend the active apps before it is going down.
If the dongle is the only device plugged into the USB it is most likely it...

OP
L

lahi

Ok, it's not the dongle. This morning the device was going to standby 7 minutes after I turned it on while I was typing something. No Ant+ stick connected. 6:54, the event log says "The system is being put in standby mode. Reason: Application API".
Shall I contact the microsoft support? I see no reason why this happens. It's realy annoying.

Attachments

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, it's not the dongle. This morning the device was going to standby 7 minutes after I turned it on while I was typing something. No Ant+ stick connected. 6:54, the event log says "The system is being put in standby mode. Reason: Application API".
Shall I contact the microsoft support? I see no reason why this happens. It's realy annoying.
I would...

Search tags for this page

best cameras

microsoft surface random standby the system is entering connected standby reason lid
surface 3 display keeps turning off
surface standby randomly