What's new

Surface RT 2 will only have 8.6" display?

chatterbot

There are rumors that the next Surface RT 2 will only have an 8.6" display, with a chip from Qualcomm. I really hope they don't make the display that small. If they do, it would have to be less oblong. I like the size of my Surface keyboard. Initially, I thought the Surface RT was too slow, but after optimizing the performance I think it is great for what I use it for. My biggest complaint was the web browser, but I have greatly increased the speed. Thus, I may not even decide to upgrade next year. I think the main thing that would get me to upgrade is battery life. If the Qualcomm chip gets me an additional hour of battery life at the same or better level of performance I'll automatically upgrade (assuming the display isn't 8.6"). If the display is 8.6" I may hold onto my device for another 2 years.

Last edited:

GreatWindows

There are rumors that the next Surface will only have an 8.6" display, with a chip from Qualcomm. I really hope they don't make the display that small. If they do, it would have to be less oblong. I like the size of my Surface keyboard. Initially, I thought the Surface RT was too low powered, but after optimizing the performance I think it is great for what I use it for. My biggest complaint was the web browser, but I have greatly increased the speed. Thus, I may not even decide to upgrade next year. I think the main thing that would get me to upgrade is battery life. If the Qualcomm chip gets me an additional hour of battery at the same or better level of performance I'll automatically upgrade (assuming the display isn't 8.6"). If the display is 8.6" I may hold onto my device for another year or 2.

To early for rumors lol.

bosamar

I love the current form factor. How would an external keyboard like Touch or Type fit a 8.6?

J515OP

Super Moderator
BGR is just speculating. I would take that with about a ton of grains of salt. Too early to start speculating is correct. Plus that implies that it would be a replacement to the Surface RT, why wouldn't just be in addition on that case? Not like the others this move is supposed to compete against dropped their 10" models when they released smaller ones. I call BGR hype.

compnovo

Microsoft Surface 2 rumor: 3 new tablets to launch in 2013 | BGR It's possible that this rumored 8.6" screen is actually for the Xbox Surface, not Surface RT. This would make a lot more sense to me.

Thanks for the link. Even if true that would be too small for my needs and, in all honesty, if I did want a tablet that size I'd opt for 8.9" Amazon's Kindle Fire HD (EDIT: In ADDITION to my Surface). I had one of their original Kindle Fires with the 7" screen and it was an excellent device, sold me completely on touch screen tablets. The only reason I sold it was because I just couldn't justify having it and the Surface and the Windows phone --- too much overlap in function and not enough toy budget. :LOL:

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Let's not forget this also falls in line with previous rumors of an Xbox tablet. Something like the Wii-u which makes sense. More than likely an additional tablet for another purpose than a replacement for a 10.6". Depending on Intel's next chip though I could see dropping the RT in this size if they can get the same battery out of a full x86 chip. That's a whole other conversation though ;)