What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

Lolvo

1. If your libraries are screwed up, if won't show photos and hence tile remains blank. Bring your libraries to default, use the new option to use SD card for storage.
2. If the executable has a shortcut, it will appear on the application list (swipe up), and from there you can pin it to Start. If you created your own shortcut to anything, the option is there (pin to start, pin to taskbar) and pin to start does not work.
3. My device initially complained about my HTC Windows Phone 8S, so while it is still connected, I shutdown the phone and it was recognized on reboot.

So I can no longer create a shortcut to a url or executable and pin it to Start?

If so, I agree, that was useful. Gives the user more variety to personalize the UI with what he/she frequents most.

---------------------------

My RT just got done installing all 41 updates along with 8.1 and configuring again, it took a few hours to get settled it. I'm liking 8.1 so far, very noticeable differences and helpful changes. SkyDrive is great, and I've never used it before until now. The IE app isn't as fluid and effective as launching IE from desktop; it looks nice and gets you what you need, though. Small other additions are handy too, be sure to swipe up and look at your full app list if you moved to 8.1.

I'm having trouble getting my tiles to go where I want them, they seem to have their own agendas when organizing medium and wide tiles together. They like to form their own patterns and sometimes will not let me move something to where it was just a few minutes past.

Also, can anyone give me a rundown on Mail? I want to be able to use the Mail App for all my incoming inboxes so that I can view a singular feed. I use gmail, hotmail, and yahoo accounts; gmail is the one with the majority of emails. Since I'm using my Microsoft account (@hotmail), the Mail App uses that address by default. I've added the gmail account in Settings, but it doesn't show up in the Mail App.

I've uploaded a few things to SkyDrive - music, photos, pdfs - I can view them fine in SkyDrive, but what do I need to do to get the corresponding apps to play/view them? I suppose a lot of simple problems can be solved by paving some directories.

Going to play around with 8.1 some more, I like it so far.

First post from my Surface RT!

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Also, can anyone give me a rundown on Mail? I want to be able to use the Mail App for all my incoming inboxes so that I can view a singular feed. I use gmail, hotmail, and yahoo accounts; gmail is the one with the majority of emails. Since I'm using my Microsoft account (@hotmail), the Mail App uses that address by default. I've added the gmail account in Settings, but it doesn't show up in the Mail App.

I haven't seen a way to get a singular feed. In the lower left corner you touch which mailbox you want to view. It will show you unread item notification though without having to switch over.

Tully

I downloaded the ISO file for English UK (My Surface RT is English UK)& put it on a thumb drive.

Can I install it directly from the thumb drive.

Also, how do I make a system back-up for SurfaceRT 32?

Tully

FFX

I will never visit your blog. Stop spamming this forum, all of your 44 posts has been about visiting your site.

Lolvo

Seems like a member of the staff would have taken some action on cauzion by now...
No one likes a spammer!

But hey...at least the posts are about the surface, lol.

R0bR

Today I returned my RT under warranty to the MS store due to the battery not lasting very long (approx. 6 hours) and got a replacement. I logged in to Windows 8 and other then my settings that are stored in the cloud the Start screen was pretty plain. Updated all the Windows Updates and installed 8.1 which I had on my other RT and to my surprise my start screen was how I had it on my returned device. Yup, Windows 8.1 retains what apps you had installed and the layout of those apps on the start screen. To be more specific the app tiles are there and there is a little down arrow on the bottom right, you just click the tile and the app downloads showing a progress bar at the bottom of the tile. If you keep all your personal files on SkyDrive or a network drive this basically will make restoring your RT device a breeze.

Not liking the new Photo app, I know the removed built in Facebook and Flickr support because those two apps are coming but there is no way to connect to SkyDrive photos. Other than that no other major quirks yet.