What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

Matt

So now the en-gb localization is available I updated to 8.1 and really like the improvements to my RT. All the skydiver integration and the GUI improvements are great. First big down point, MS have stopped the USB lan adapter I have from working! It was fine under RT 8 but now has and error code 52 about the driver not being digitally signed. Pain in the rear! Appears there's no way to stop the digital signage requirement under RT. I tried the old gpedit but that's only good for XP. Other workarounds like f8 boot aren't an option. Any one got any ideas? As part of my job network config is essential and I was enjoying not needed to carry a laptop as the RT otherwise ticked all toe boxes.

FFX

Today I returned my RT under warranty to the MS store due to the battery not lasting very long (approx. 6 hours) and got a replacement. I logged in to Windows 8 and other then my settings that are stored in the cloud the Start screen was pretty plain. Updated all the Windows Updates and installed 8.1 which I had on my other RT and to my surprise my start screen was how I had it on my returned device. Yup, Windows 8.1 retains what apps you had installed and the layout of those apps on the start screen. To be more specific the app tiles are there and there is a little down arrow on the bottom right, you just click the tile and the app downloads showing a progress bar at the bottom of the tile. If you keep all your personal files on SkyDrive or a network drive this basically will make restoring your RT device a breeze.

Not liking the new Photo app, I know the removed built in Facebook and Flickr support because those two apps are coming but there is no way to connect to SkyDrive photos. Other than that no other major quirks yet.

Where you running Windows 8.1 on the device with the battery problem, 8.1 is a beta and a lot of people experience this problem and I'm one of them.

Omni

So now the en-gb localization is available I updated to 8.1 and really like the improvements to my RT. All the skydiver integration and the GUI improvements are great. First big down point, MS have stopped the USB lan adapter I have from working! It was fine under RT 8 but now has and error code 52 about the driver not being digitally signed. Pain in the rear! Appears there's no way to stop the digital signage requirement under RT. I tried the old gpedit but that's only good for XP. Other workarounds like f8 boot aren't an option. Any one got any ideas? As part of my job network config is essential and I was enjoying not needed to carry a laptop as the RT otherwise ticked all toe boxes.

This is going to be a issue for me as well Matt! Ive not idea if this will work but it is worth a try Craft Edge: Install Driver for Sizzix eclips on Windows 8 . Its for Windows 8 but it might work.

cauzion

I've have installed and using it since it was relased and having some issues I would like to know if somebody else is having too.
1) Skydrive on Windows RT 8.1 P takes too much time to update. On my Windows 8.1 PRO Preview it works fine
2) The Integrated Bing Search keeps searching..and searching...and shows a error message on my Windows RT 8.1, but works fine on my Windows 8.1 PRO notebook

Please, does anybody have something to say about these issues ?

I've found some other minor issues that are listed on my blog.

Carlos Trindade
Surface RT & Windows RT REAL Review: Windows 8.1 RT Preview Review - My first impressions

compnovo

I've searched through this thread and, other than mine, haven't seen any reference to video anomolies. Is anyone else seeing unusual behavior when you touch the screen during video playback? I'm seeing it in both Netflix and Multimedia8 now, a weird burst of colors is the best way I can describe it.

Lolvo

I've searched through this thread and, other than mine, haven't seen any reference to video anomolies. Is anyone else seeing unusual behavior when you touch the screen during video playback? I'm seeing it in both Netflix and Multimedia8 now, a weird burst of colors is the best way I can describe it.

You know, since you brought it up, I HAVE noticed exactly what you're experiencing. It happens more often to me when playing local video (stored in SD) in Xbox Video. Happens in Netflix occasionally. I didn't give it much thought, but yes, I experience the same thing.

ArnoldC

ditto

Robert1969

I have install 8.1 and right away I the system would not display my micro sd card I return it they (Microsoft store reps) said it might be
a issues with 8.1 and micro sd cards this is my second RT ON THE SAME ISSUES but they gave me a new RT with 8.0 of course and recommend
that I wait until Microsoft release 8.1 (no beta) I think some of the RT's work well with 8.1 and some have the micro sd card issues
so I GUESS I WILL RUN WITH 8.0 FOR NOW!

Matt

This is going to be a issue for me as well Matt! Ive not idea if this will work but it is worth a try Craft Edge: Install Driver for Sizzix eclips on Windows 8 . Its for Windows 8 but it might work.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work as the surface doesn't have that menu in the advanced restart mode. It may be just an 8.1 preview issue and I hope it gets resolved. Its a real shame as the wired LAN adapter would save me from carrying a netbook and my surface...

guitar1969

Do we have an ETA on when the official 8.1 will be released. I upgraded to the preview, and although the added features are cool, some of the bugs are really annoying me.

My main problems are:

1) Losing Wifi connection coming out of an extended standby mode - Seems like Wifi services get stopped. A reboot is usually necessary. I know this is a documented issue, but let's get it fixed already.

2) Strange screen orientation issue. Sometimes gets locked in one position (landscape, portrait, or even upside down) and will not change no matter how you position the device screen. What is odd, is when this is acting up, the usual "screen" charm icon which is under the settings charm, loses the screen orientation lock option completely, and changes to a brightness (Little sun icon) charm only with no option to lock or unlock the screen orientation. The only way to fix is by a reboot.

3) Sometimes can't get the screen keyboard to pop up when entering a text field - Have to do it manually or attach the physical touch pad.

Last edited:

Matt

Do we have an ETA on when the official 8.1 will be released. I upgraded to the preview, and although the added features are cool, some of the bugs are really annoying me.

My main problems are:

1) Losing Wifi connection coming out of an extended standby mode - Seems like Wifi services get stopped. A reboot is usually necessary. I know this is a documented issue, but let's get it fixed already.

2) Strange screen orientation issue. Sometimes gets locked in one position (landscape, portrait, or even upside down) and will not change no matter how you position the device screen. What is odd, is when this is acting up, the usual "screen" charm icon which is under the settings charm, loses the screen orientation lock option completely, and changes to a brightness (Little sun icon) charm only with no option to lock or unlock the screen orientation. The only way to fix is by a reboot.

3) Sometimes can't get the screen keyboard to pop up when entering a text field - Have to do it manually or attach the physical touch pad.

I had the screen rotation issue. If it happens remove the type/touch cover and press the power button. Press the power button again and the device should come back on with rotation working again.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8