What's new

Surface RT 8.1 Preview

pallentx

Do we have an ETA on when the official 8.1 will be released. I upgraded to the preview, and although the added features are cool, some of the bugs are really annoying me.

My main problems are:

1) Losing Wifi connection coming out of an extended standby mode - Seems like Wifi services get stopped. A reboot is usually necessary. I know this is a documented issue, but let's get it fixed already.
Instead of rebooting, I made a powershell script to disable and re-enable the adapter, then connect to my wifi profile.
Just make a text file named wifi.ps1 and put this in it
netsh interface set interface "WiFi" DISABLE
netsh interface set interface "WiFi" ENABLE
netsh wlan connect name=<The Name of Your Wifi Profile>

right click the script file and select Run with Powershell

guitar1969

Instead of rebooting, I made a powershell script to disable and re-enable the adapter, then connect to my wifi profile.
Just make a text file named wifi.ps1 and put this in it
netsh interface set interface "WiFi" DISABLE
netsh interface set interface "WiFi" ENABLE
netsh wlan connect name=<The Name of Your Wifi Profile>

right click the script file and select Run with Powershell
I want to try this but confused on what you mean by wifi profile . Do you mean connection name(SSID)?

R0bR

Where you running Windows 8.1 on the device with the battery problem, 8.1 is a beta and a lot of people experience this problem and I'm one of them.

My battery issues started in January and had gotten worse since then and continued after 8.1 was installed. I've been running 8.1 since replacing my RT and have no battery issues at all at the moment.

pallentx

Yes, it will probably be the same as your network name. The profile gets created when you actually connect to a wifi network. The settings for the connection are saved as a profile. The name of the network is the default name of the profile. I think its possible for them to be different though. To see all profiles on your machine run this:

netsh wlan show profiles

guitar1969

Yes, it will probably be the same as your network name. The profile gets created when you actually connect to a wifi network. The settings for the connection are saved as a profile. The name of the network is the default name of the profile. I think its possible for them to be different though. To see all profiles on your machine run this:

netsh wlan show profiles

So I would have to create this powershell command for each of my wifi connections ? - I have like 10 I use - What a pain to manage.

MS please release the 8.1 Official with the fixes . . . .